PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Does anyone else own pipes made by Oldrich Jirsa? JIRSA 165. Some of the nomenclature is very faint and was this way before I started refinishing. This is the first Czech made pipe I've owned and it was a pleasure to restore. You can tell from the before images it must have been a favorite of it's former owner. I think it's also going to be a favorite of mine too. It really took awhile cleaning the cake out of this one.
BEFORE - JIRSA 165 by Oldrich Jirsa. Czech Republic
a_before1.jpg

AFTER - JIRSA 165 by Oldrich Jirsa. Czech Republic
a_after6.jpg

a_before4.jpg

a_after7.jpg

a_before3.jpg

a_after3.jpg

a_before5.jpg

a_after4.jpg

a_after5.jpg

a_after10.jpg

a_after9.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Wow, you did a great job on that. It looks like the previous owner didn't know or care about what to do with the cake build up. Was there a whisper of ghost? hard to believe there wouldn't be. Enjoy it as it looks like a sweet little pipe.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That's not cake its a bakery !!!! WTH!!! I suppose the previous owner would have either cleaned it out when there was NO bowl or just tossed it.
You did a great job Durham. I hope it's a great smoker

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Wow!! Beutiful job. You made a dead pipe alive again.

One question. Did you carved little bit of pipe rim? It looks much better.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Many thanks Durham.

Now I got the idea to get rid of a burn mark on the edge of the rim.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I do not own a Jirsa, but all owners I know of are very satisfied with them. If the right pipe comes by, I am going to aquire one. Jirsa produces pipes on an industrial scale with modern machinery and has a high output, but his wood is good and he has a patented stem material, which is said to be as soft as Vulcanite, but as high gloss as Acryl.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You did a beautiful job on that pipe. A pipe "rescue" if I ever saw one! :clap:

I know it'll be a great smoker for you. Tell me, was the inside of the shank as filthy as the bowl and rim?
Here's a picture of the only Jirsa I own. Not a bad pipe, but the bend is deeper than I usually prefer, so it doesn't get much use.

Also, the button had a very high profile, as pictured, but I filed it down nicely since this pic was taken.

DSCN0461.jpg

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
The 1st "nice" pipe I picked up was a Jirsa from Pulvers Briar. Up til the Jirsa I had only played with cobs. I still really like the shape of the pipe as well as the extended shank with the different piece of wood.
jirsa-600x450.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Anymore I have a tendency to gravitate towards these gnarly, caked burners. The obvious reason is that they were enjoyed by the original smoker. You can almost always bet there's a choice piece of briar underneath.
Fnord

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Tell me, was the inside of the shank as filthy as the bowl and rim?

Cortez, Thanks. Surprisingly, the shank was cleaner. However, the stem was BAD and almost clogged up.
You're Jirsa has a nice shape, I like it. Never seen a bulldog with that much of a bend and that makes it rather unique!
rx2man, I can see how that pipe could become a favorite! Thanks for sharing the image. I really like it.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
You are a much better photographer of briar than I am. Will have to work on my lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.