Restoration of a John's Pipe Shop Silve Mount (Pic heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Hell all,
I just finished up this restoration of a John's Pipe Shop model Silver Mount. If you are not familier with John's Pipe Shop, here is some information from Pipedia;
"John’s Pipe Shop from Los Angeles was open for decades, starting in 1908 and looks like into the 1980’s or a little longer. They had pipes made for them by European companies, one of which is Comoy’s for sure. As seen on their matchbook cover ad their “Exclusive Brands” included Wilshire, Rosemore, Extra, Fairmont, Silvermont and Avalon. There were two shops, one at 524-524 1/2 S. Spring St. in the heart of downtown early Los Angeles, and the other at 6725 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood 28, Calif. I’ve found old matchbook covers with that info and a photo of their horse drawn carriage with a large pipe bowl on the back as an advertisement. The photo was from the 1900-1929 timeframe. " The whole article can be found at http://pipedia.org/wiki/John's_Pipe_Shop
This pipe was in not too bad shape, but the inside of the stem and shank were extremely filthy. I'm really happy how this one turned out. I am either going to sell this one to buy more pipes to send to military serving abroad, or maybe tone of them will just be lucky enough to receive this one.
Wes

www.rebuiltbriars.com
BEFORE

AFTER

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Ummm, that first line should say Hello all. Sorry I didn't catch that.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Lo4Cj.jpg

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Thanks loneredtree, I just love knowing some of the history behind a pipe. I wonder whatever happened to that cart with the big pipe on it.

owen

May 28, 2014
Thats quite a clean up. Especially round the tenon.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Johns was in L.A. for a long time. I've had a few pipes with the red Bakelite stems. I like that one. Looks like maybe a 30s-40s pipe. Nice job on the rehab!

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I just sent you a private message. I hope you enjoy the pipe. Make sure you let us know how it smokes
Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.