PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skcuf

Lurker
Nov 19, 2012
I often see people say to rest a pipe for a day before smoking it again. I was wondering how long people meant by a day. Does this mean that if you smoke a pipe on Thursday at 8:00 PM you can smoke it again on Friday at 8:00 PM? Or does this mean to wait until 8:00 PM on Saturday?
Thanks

elwin

Lurker
May 3, 2012
Usually the rule is 24 hours.

But better yet is to slowly add to your collection until you have a 'seven day set'.

That gives your pipes plenty of rest between smokes.

(And you might want to consider adding a couple of corn-cob pipes to your collection.

They're both cheap, and smoke very well for what they are.)

skcuf

Lurker
Nov 19, 2012
I've been looking for some cheap corn cob pipes but I don't know where to get them. Any suggestions?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum.

I smoke 1 bowl in 1 pipe and then I rest that pipe for a week, except for cobs and my meer.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
You can smoke multiple bowls in a Day if you like the way the pipe performs. I fall into the 3 day minimum rest group. I have found that it takes that long for the bowl to smell nice. :puffpipe:

skcuf

Lurker
Nov 19, 2012
Get a grab bag from Missouri Meerschaum. You'll get 10 cobs (seconds) for $30.
What do you mean by seconds?
I am asking because my girlfriend just got me a pipe for our sixth anniversary because I had been saying I was wanting one. I have only been smoking it about once a week or so due to the research I've done and it's been working out but I would like to enjoy a few more smokes every now and then.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
+1 to at least 48-72 hours rest. A well rested clean pipe gives the best smoke. If I can I let some of my pipes rest for a whole week.
My cobs I smoke daily - they dry really fast. Way less maintenance intensive than briars. I'm pretty sure you could smoke 5-6 bowls in a cob one after another and still not run into trouble.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Seconds are pipes that Missouri Meerschaum feels for whatever reason are second rate and cannot be sold as new unblemished pipes. In the bag of "seconds" that I bought, none were unsmokeable and most had a cosmetic blemish at most. In some cases (2), the stem wasn't perfectly straight in the cob. I smoke some of them, saved some of them and have given a few away to new pipers. Try them, skcuf, you probably won't be disappointed. The differences between the "seconds" and the "firsts" that I bought at the same time (just in case) were not really noticeable.
And welcome to the forum!

joshwolftree

factory seconds have a minor flaw. out of the twenty or so pipes I've gotten this way only 1 or two were flawed in such a way that affected smoke-ability at all,and none of them were entirely unsmoke-able.(one did require a little redneck know how. Usually it's small divots around the top of the bowl(outside) or a finish color issue. Their probably not pipes your going to want to smoke with some dignitary or other, but they are great for tossing in the glove box or a pocket to have when the craving hits.
(section singing the praises)

Please scroll straight to the modified close tag if you don't feel like listening to me be a windbag...

Still here?

ok

It's a beater pipe essentially, I carry mine in a pocket with a tamper and a lighter and a roll of baccy to work for smoke breaks. The main advantage is if I drop it in the parking lot and scratch it, Or I'm not paying attention and jam a pen in my pocket and get ink on it, or any number of horrible things that can happen to a pipe that is in your pocket as you go through daily life, I don't care. It's a 3 dollar pipe, not one of my $30-$120 briars. So I have no real money invested in it. It's not one of grandads old pipes(in your case substitute the gift from a girlfriend) that has some emotional weight tied to it. It's a corncob some wood and some plastic, and rather than taking the plastic out for a different pipe and throwing the rest away after the quality control guy said "well this isn't up to the aesthetic standards of MM" they said fine we'll sell em as cheapo pipes or give em away at the company picnic to our pipe smoking employees.

The other advantage to this bag is you don't know what style pipes your going to get from it. You'll probably wind up with a few each of bent stem and straight stem, a coupla legends(every review I've seen that mentions what pipes they got at least three legends the classic corncob pipe like frosty the snowman smokes) and a few of the larger or smaller or differently shaped cobs.

smoking through these will teach you even more about your likes and dislikes. I used to only have full bent mouth hangers. I started with the cobs and discovered that I also really enjoy partial bends and straight stemmed pipes. and to my surprise more the straight stems than the partial.

(/section singing the praises)

In short their ugly ussually perfectly smokable pipes that are cheap and can fill out your rotation until you get some more briars,or make decent beater pipes

Aug 14, 2012
Smoke the pipe as often as it tastes good to you. Tastes are different. I prefer to smoke it once every 5 days, but break that rule often, sometimes smoking the same pipe once a day for several days.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
My good 'ol corn cob has never let me down ....

For me it's always been the quality of the pipe tobacco.

The corn cob pipe provides an excellent vehicle for endulging in smoking supremacy!

I alternate between at least 7 pipes/week.
AJuozasPipes011.jpg

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
Although I believe in giving the pipe time to rest and always keeping it clean since it makes sense. Any pipe consists of several parts (at least two) and none of them has the same characteristics like the other. So getting hot will affect each part differently thus they will expand in different aspects and that will defiantly affect the way the pipe smokes.
However, I have most of my pipes dedicated for certain type of tobacco or flavoring and I am sure as you all have experienced before buying a new tobacco that you really like will always results in more than one bowl either to enjoy or to test the new taste. Therefore, the dedicated pipe should excuse me for using it more than one time in the same day. :D

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
just my 2 cents...right now, i have one pipe. its not expensive (1 dot Brigham) and i smoke it pretty steady, usually 5-6 bowls a day. it rests when i rest. i really dont think it'll last forever but who knows. anyway, just thought i toss that in here, as its just one mans opinion.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
As you progress, you will notice that a pipe can be sour if you don't rest it.
I have noticed that some of my pipes need longer rests than others. One in particular needs a good 5-6 days to rest after smoking it for an evening. Others, maybe half that.
Overall, I go along with Jud:
I smoke 1 bowl in 1 pipe and then I rest that pipe for a week, except for cobs and my meer.
If you can manage it (need a lot of pipes to do it). They say Meers need no rest, so if you cannot afford a small arsenal of pipes, that might be the way to go (but they are delicate).

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
that is a good point numbersix, im trying to build up (i have a couple coming in the mail.) i dont think meers are for me, im pretty clutzy and not nearly careful enough, so i wouldnt have it long haha.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
OK - sorry for the newbie question here but..... why? Why rest a pipe? What actually happens when it's resting (or when not getting hot again so soon). I'm only smoking about 1 bowl a day and not even every day. Thank you for your patience here.

Status
Not open for further replies.