PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I am amazed at how some tobacco flavors change just be being opened.
I wouldn't have thought about this, without reading the forum.
I have been revisiting some of my first purchases and some have really benefited from the wait.
How do you keep track of such things? I am not sure I am ready to start charting my tobacco selections.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Keeping track of the age? I put a label on the tin/jar that says the blend and date I stored it. I know a lot of more veteran members do spreadsheets, which I may start doing. It seems like pulling up an excel file to check dates would be a lot easier than pulling out my jars and checking the labels.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I've heard of a guy who uses index cards to help write down how tobaccos smoke the first go around and how it helps him note the changes in the tobacco after each subsequent smoke. Could easily be replicated on an excel spreadsheet.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
If I know I'm not going to smoke the whole tin consistently then I transfer it to a mason jar and just use a sharpie to label the lid.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Tobaccocellar.com is the current place where many track their cellars. BUUUUT... I'm working on www.thepipetool.com - hope to have it done before this summer and I think it will be the best fit application for what you're looking for.
The iphone pipetool app hasn't been updated in a while and uses a database that only exists on your phone which could be problematic.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Yep, it is amazing! Usually, when I first pop a tin of a new blend, I'll smoke a bowl straight from the tin, then jar the rest. Then I'll let it sit for at least 4 or 5 days and then come back to it. That first bowl, 9 times out of 10, is only an indication of what the blend is really like. Most times it's much better after some time in the jar.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This is tough for me, because I don't review a new-to-me blend in my journal until I've smoked at least a dozen or so bowls of it. . . which could happen over the course of one week -- or three, depending on how much I'm enjoying the blend, what my mood is, etc. So I have the feeling I have less of a handle on these kinds of changes than the rest of you. For me, anything that's happening in the jar over the course of a tin (when I open a tin, it goes into a jar that I draw from) is going to be overlooked as I try the blend in a variety of pipes and on a lot of different days (when my diet, the weather, my mood, etc. could affect my perceptions). I don't know how I would pinpoint the changes that are happening in the jar after a week versus the changes I'm noticing simply because I'm smoking the blend in a different pipe, on a different day.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.