PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I smoke heavy nic stuff all the time and use a little snuff in between so I'm no stranger to these powerhouse blends. Today I was puffing away on a bowl of my beloved Irish Flake on the drive home from work, on a day I skipped lunch but didn't think much about it. Then it hit me. That uneasy feeling in your stomach that reminds you why you don't f' with the flake.
Thankfully, I quickly relized what was going on and put the pipe down before things got ugly. Just a reminder to all that even if you're comfortable smoking this stuff regularly, it can still sneak up on you.
Now I look forward to having a nice dinner with a friend tonight and finishing my bowl afterwards :)

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
The other day I just finished a bowl of Key Largo when the nic hit me, so it was too late to put it down. Nice to know even the heavy weight nic smokers have this same problem occasionally. :lol:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I didn't know how to smoke a pipe properly until I smoked Irish Flake.
High nic baccy can be sneaky. I've noticed that SG Grousemoor has quite a bit of Vitamin N that seems to go unnoticed with all the flowery flavours. It almost sent me to bed early last night 8O

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I've noticed that SG Grousemoor has quite a bit of Vitamin N that seems to go unnoticed with all the flowery flavours. It almost sent me to bed early last night 8O
Now that does surprise me. I have never felt any lady nic in Grousemoor. It makes me wonder if it has something to do (somewhat) with the blends and an individual's body chemistry. I notice my physical reaction to tobaccos doesn't always correspond to their supposed strength rating. :?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've never had Irish Flake but Pennington Gap just about knocked me out two years ago.
The burley and perique conspired against me in a big way and I did literally go to bed early!
That was the last nic overdose I had - since then I've been pretty cautious...

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I swear to not only respect this lovely stuff, but to honour & obey it also. :wink:

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
damn. you guys keep freakin' me out on this stuff! i actually picked up a tin months ago and every time i reach for it i pause and grab something else to smoke. i'm NOT a big Vitamin N fan, so all the stuff i read from you jokers about PIF just keeps keepin' me from trying it!
maybe tomorrow i'll just tear the damn band-aid off really fast and hope for the best :) .
i promise i'll reach for it at least ;-) .
doody.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Go into it on a full stomach with a smaller pipe than you are used to, or your regular pipe filled halfway.
Smoke slow, and stop before you feel sick if you start to feel off. You should be fine.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@Bulldog Mick: I think it does have a lot to do with the individual. For example, quite a few guys smoke a pipe with a side of alcohol, I cannot do that as it intensifies the effects of both the alcohol and tobacco ( well, maybe with a side of a good ale, but anything beyond that ..... ). I also think that sometimes I will rush a bowl and inhale more than the couple-three-times-per-bowl that I usually do, and that's when it gets me .....

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I also think that sometimes I will rush a bowl and inhale more than the couple-three-times-per-bowl that I usually do, and that's when it gets me ...
Ahhhhh, yeah, that would explain a lot.
Interesting about the alcohol. Hmm, might need to try that.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Go into it on a full stomach with a smaller pipe than you are used to, or your regular pipe filled halfway.
Smoke slow, and stop before you feel sick if you start to feel off. You should be fine.
I agree. Irish Flake is pretty approachable if you take your time and ease in to it. Unfortunately my experience yesterday was an empty stomach and 2 1/2 flakes folded and stuffed in a Luciano :lol:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I wouldn't say I had a nic overdose so much as a nic hangover. The one time I did have a nic overdose, I was nauseous and had to go to bed out of it. (Pennington Gap)
I was just trying to encourage him to stare straight into the abyss and prepare himself as best he can to defeat the enemy... ;)
As for Red Man, it still kicks my ass the next day, but I can handle it well enough at the time. I chewed twice last night and now this morning I feel all groggy and "off". I did have a few beers as well but I blame the tobacco!

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
As for Red Man, it still kicks my ass the next day, but I can handle it well enough at the time. I chewed twice last night and now this morning I feel all groggy and "off". I did have a few beers as well but I blame the tobacco!
In Soviet Russia, Red Man chew you. :lol:
Sorry, that's my favourite meme.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
If you ever want to feel nic kick fast and intense, try cutting off a chunk of Gawith Brown Rope #4 and chewing it. One of those things I had to try at least once.
I needed a quick pick me up and it worked rather well!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, I had to laugh when you just said you folded two flakes and stuffed them into a large pipe like that on an empty stomach. You really thought you were gonna get away with that didn't ya? LOL I can handle nic with the best, but I wouldn't have done that on a bet. Lucky you felt it coming and put the pipe down.
Doody, as suggested, small bowl full stomach and I would add, have a glass of really sweet tea next to you and drink that while smoking. The sugar will help with the nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.