PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I started smoking pipe about 6 months ago and I definitely enjoy it. However I don't smoke too much and I like to use different tobaccos so I have the issue of how to keep fresh the tobacco once a tin is opened. I am aware the best way should be using mason jars but for space saving I prefer keeping the tobacco in the original tin. So I figure out to “reseal” in some way the tin putting a double layer aluminum foil under the cover of the tin cutting it to just protrude outside of the cover of the tin and then sealing the tin with 3M electric tape running between the cover and below the protruding aluminum foil. The good thing of electric tape is that it is malleable and it looks to give a good seal and as a matter of fact I don't detect any smell coming out of the tin. Is it an acceptable way to reseal a tin? Anybody else used this method to reseal a tin and for how long can it work?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd rather triple bag it in thick plastic; way less space and less work. But please let us know in six months how that's worked for you !

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I use 4oz mason jars. 10.00 for 12 on Amazon. It's 4 liquid ounces so you can jam 2oz of tobacco in one.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
A 1/2 pint mason type jar is a great way to keep an open 50 gr. tin fresh. I am assuming you're talking about coin twist tins that are open. Wax paper or tin foil will work. I've kept 8 oz. tins fresh for about a year that way...no tape.

Mike S.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
That might work OK, but a mason jar just seems like less hassle to me.
I tried plastic bags, but the tobacco dried out at a surprising rate, for something that's supposedly airtight.

64alex

May 10, 2016
It is well known plastic bag is really porous and not really airtight.

Yes, Mason jar are the most secure but as said I am trying to save space. Once mastered it does not take that much time to reseal a tin with foil and tape. I think the tape should give extra airtight.

As from miukestanley it lasted 1 year without tape which is not bad. Interesting to know if someone kept for longer as few years even if the longer the storage time the safest is using Mason Jars.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Have you tried a piece of cellophane wrap, folded, then put between the tin and the lid?

64alex

May 10, 2016
I am using aluminum foil folded, put between the tin and the lid and then sealed with electric tape. There is no question aluminum is better as cellophane differently from aluminum foil is porous and not airtight

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Have you tried a piece of cellophane wrap, folded, then put between the tin and the lid?

I did this with a tin of nightcap that had fallen and opened up, I just put some saran wrap (cellophane) over it and put the top on, it was fine when I smoked it about 2 years later. I don't think aluminum foil would work as well, as it can easily tear.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
The cellophane works well for sealing many things, but not only does the aluminum foil tend to tear eventually, there is the possibility of it reacting with the tobacco. The inside of many metal cans (for food) are treated with BPA to prevent that reactiveness; I don't want my smoke in contact with bare aluminum as aluminum is a transitional metal same as tin or lead. Also, BPA is very bad and health issues have been identified with canned foods as a result. I don't know that they use BPA in tins, but I would bet it is treated with something, if not that. Once you open a can (or tin) and introduce the air, I think it better to take the tobacco out and put in a glass jar. If you try it both ways, sealing an opened tin with either aluminum or cellophane, after a time smell each--- the cellophane remains neutral while the aluminum develops a stink to it.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
ALL of the round tins I have stay airtight and I don't lose any moisture after opening, even months later. Saving space should not be hard with the smaller mason jars for long term storage, months and years.
I usually have a few tins open at a time, as I don't smoke the same tobacco all day long. I leave all the paper/cardboard inserts in place to push down on the crinkled paper. The plastic top containers seal REALLY well and I can close them then let the excess air out as the lid will bulge if I don't.
In summary, I don't feel it is necessary to add tin foil for the reasons TMB outlined. But, I have considered just wrapping a re-sealed tin in plastic wrap on the outside to keep it airtight. I admit, I do NOT want plastic or aluminum in contact with my tobacco as plastics will bleed into the tobacco. The square tins don't seem to seal as well, but since I smoke those fairly quickly (orlik golden slice) it is not a problem.
You seem to have a good working method. There is more than one way to skin a cat and I say do what works best for you.
Michael

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I used tins a lot more years ago and the ones I used had elastomeric rings in the lid which seemed to work well. If you are smoking a tin at all, I should think this ring would do a more than adequate job over the life of the smoke. But maybe if you are going to open a tin then let it sit around for years before finishing it, you might want to use a glass jar. Or at least the cellophane or something.
I agree about keeping the paper insert in the tin. They do a great job of keeping the tobacco moist and protected and I love folding back the paper and getting hit by the aroma of the blend. The tins of late I did not care for at all were like those used by SPC which was more of a cheap metalized cardboard can with a 50% airspace and just a snap on plastic lid like a tub of butter. Inadequate IMO; same as used to store a can of cashews. If I buy a tin, I would prefer something better, otherwise, once opened, it is going into a glass jar.

64alex

May 10, 2016
I am trying to go back to the original question. It is no issue the best and most secure way to store tobacco is in mason or gasket jars and I am using them particularly for aging.
However, there are cases where it is most convenient to keep tobacco in the tin and I found convenient resealing them with double aluminum foil placed under the lid and sealed with electric tape. When mastered it does not take much time to do and it definitely save space particularly if you have many opened tins that you are planning to use in a couple of years.
Plastic/cellophane is not working as it is porous and not airtight, I tried and the tobacco dries out pretty quickly (for the same reason it dries out in a pouch). I am not very much concerned about aluminum foil reaction with the tobacco as really the foil is under the lid and does not touch the tobacco. It is true that aluminum can tear, this is why I use it double and then being careful how it is applied at the border of the tin I never had a tear.
So far the ones I used with this method after 6 months are perfect fresh and not dry so I know that at least for this time range the system works. What I'd like to know is if others used this system for longer time periods and for how long it worked.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[ don't smoke too much and I like to use different tobaccos so I have the issue of how to keep fresh the tobacco once a tin is opened. I am aware the best way should be using mason jars but for space saving I prefer keeping the tobacco in the original tin. So I figure out to “reseal” in some way the tin putting a double layer aluminum foil under the cover of the tin cutting it to just protrude outside of the cover of the tin and then sealing the tin with 3M electric tape running between the cover and below the protruding aluminum foil. The good thing of electric tape is that it is malleable and it looks to give a good seal and as a matter of fact I don't detect any smell coming out of the tin. ]
So I give the update at the 1 year mark using this method to reseal the tins.

So far so good, tobacco is still fresh and moist as it was originally and there is no smell coming out of the tin. So it looks the system is working at least for intermediate term storage. For sure for very long term storage jars are the way to go but for medium term with opened tins, resealing them in this way I find useful in saving space and also in finding the tobacco I want right away. I am now curious how it will hold at the 2 years mark.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[All you need is mason jars, in my opinion.]
No question mason jar is the way to go for long term/cellaring storage. However when dealing with opening tins keeping in tin is more convenient as it save space compared to mason jars and make easier to find the different opened tobaccos.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I think there's some tape called parafilm.]
Parafilm still transpires a little bit and over time it is going to dry. Better aluminum foil to avoid transpiration.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
Seems like a small bail-top jar (glass, glazed ceramic or stainless steel) would be ideal - they're what I use for spices, coffee and tobacco. No odor is ever detectable until the top is popped. Most newer containers of this type use an odor free silicone seal instead of the old red rubber types.
They seal just as well as a mason jar, but the pop open instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.