PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I grabbed these two off an ebay lot of four pipes. I had a hard hunch the white one was a Peterson meer, but I wasn't sure about the black one. I figured at best it was a Pioneer. (Not knocking Pioneer, they just get confused a lot with Peterson's on ebay)
Much to my surprise they both we're Peterson. I used alcohol and a toothbrush and scrubbed the outer bowls. A little knife work, followed by alcohol and paper towels took care of the inner bowls. The stems we're pretty funky, but a candle and sandpaper followed by a buffing cleaned them up. I did lose the "P" on the stems but it was either that or leave them bright green and funky.
Haven't smoked them yet, figured I'd give them a day or two off.
I also took a group shot of my Peterson's that's I've picked up over the last year. I wanted to include it because I wanted to show the new guys like myself you can pick up some great pipes for a very low cost. Sorry for the bad cell phone pics.
Before-

After-

With a little bit of time, work, and patience you can pick up some really nice pipes on a low budget.
I paid the following for each pipe...
White Meer, $22 plus shipping and one additional pipes

Black Meer, $22 plus shipping and one additional pipes

1915ish Peterson, $35 plus shipping

Cracked 303, $18 total

Smooth XL315, $35 plus shipping

Rusticated XL315, $45 plus shipping

Emerald XL264, $28 total
Anyway, I mention it mainly to encourage you guys that are a bit nervous to try your hand at restoring estate pipes. A little work can go a long way. Sure they've got their fills and some needed a little more TLC then others but honestly that was half the fun.
Sorry about the bad pics, I really need to bust a real camera out.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Very nice. I'd like to see how the candle works in restoring the stem.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nicely done Jah!
Thanks for posting. Makes me want to dig back in down in the old Pipe Cave.
Love the work on the Petes. I'm going to have to try the lighter treatment on a stem on the next couple of restores.
Cheers,
-- Pat

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Great work Jah!!! Those Petes turned out beautiful. When my school settles down for the summer and I get done satisfying my TAD purchases I may turn my attention to the restoring pipes.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I have to admit that this forum has encouraged me to purchase some estates and try some basic cleaning/sanitizing. It has worked very well and I now have a fabulous Butz-Choquin, a Savinelli, and a few others added to my collection. I've gone on to buy about 10 more pipes, cleaned 'em all up real good, and am reselling them. I'm looking ahead at more full restorations on briars, and even making new acrylic stems. It is turning out to be a fun and rewarding hobby!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice Jah - those were all steals! You did a great job on the clean up too. The white and black Petes for $22 - wow! (Thanks for sharing the prices - I always am happy for a fellow pipesmoker who snags a great (fantastic) deal.)

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks guys. I don't have anyone else to talk pipes with so that's why you have to suffer my posts! On a side note, I will say for every pipe I've gotten at a good price I have let 10 more go by because they went higher then I was willing to pay.
Six yeah. Those 2 meers came with two Venturi pipes. They were just one in a batch of lots from an estate sale. I watched some Comoy's and Erlichs go by but I'd been wanting a Peterson meer for awhile. There were some nice pipes in those lots. When I lose an auction I always hope one of you guys gets it.
I wasn't happy with the draw on the black rhodesian so I got out my needle files and opened it up a bit. Still feels a bit tight. Not overly thrilled with that stem. Its got a really narrow tenon.
I'll post some pics the next time I use a flame on a stem. Still trying to figure out how well it actually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.