Rescued & Restored! Heavy on the Images.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I had the pleasure of adopting a Lorenzo Spitfire 'Venezia'. This was a challenge to restore with the 'burned' charred outer bowl as you will see in the images. A bit of brair had to be sanded. I know that most Lorenzos are far from being high end but I already had a few and from my personal experience all have been excellent smokers and this one was no exception.
I didn't have stain to match the original so I decided to go natural despite the fact the brair is not much from a quality view point. At least I didn't encounter any pink fills! I do hope my restore techniques improved the overall look somewhat. Here are the before and after images. Go easy on me, LOL!
Lbefore1.jpg

after3.jpg

LBefore2.jpg

after4.jpg

lbefore3.jpg

after5.jpg

lbefore4.jpg

after6.jpg

after10-10.jpg

after9.jpg

after7.jpg

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I like it Durham, I think that lacking finish makes it much more unique and interesting, nice pipe and nice restore.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Durham, I have to say the pipe looks much classier without that red stain. The grain on the right side is not bad, I bet with time it gets a nice patina. Good show.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Dude that pipe looks so much better. I am thinking I want to do that with my Big Ben Red pipe

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yes, much better without the red stain. I think it has a more modern look. Of course, the great clean-up job did wonders too!

Nice rescue. I hope it smokes as well as the others you have.
ps. Thanks for taking the time and effort to present all the great photos. We appreciate it so much! :clap:

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
Wow, that is an amazing transformation! EXCELLENT work. I'm with others that like the natural finish better than the stained. The wood grain may not be fancy, but that red stain did it no favors, in my very humble opinion.
You've got a beautiful pipe there, I hope it gives you years of cool, dry smokes. Happy piping! :puffy:

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Wow thanks for sharing! That looks excellent. I've been thinking of doing the same with an old basked pipe of mine. Although I think after stripping the finish I'll try my hand at rustication. This post has definitely given me the push I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.