PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey Gents,
I have gotten the go ahead from the wife to buy some tobacco this month, and would like to try some GLP blends. I currently smoke primarily aromatics, but want to branch off into other blend types. I ordered some frog cellar last month and quite enjoyed it. I was off put by the smell, but the taste was very good. I am willing to give anything a shot. Basically, pretend you we're on a deserted isle and only had 2-3 of his blends with you with no chance of rescue: what would you want those blends to be?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I favor Greg's English/Balkan blends. I'd highly recommend Charing Cross, Ashbury, Abingdon, Kensington, Caravan, and Westminster.
If you enjoy perique, then definitely add Haddo's Delight to the mix as well.
Greg wrote: "Also Quiet Nights is very good; IMHO very similar to the legendary Penzance."
I can't comment on the comparison -- I haven't tried Quiet Nights -- but I will say that the constituent tobaccos in QN are quite different from what's in Penzance. Quiet Nights includes perique (which Penzance does not) and doesn't seem to include any cavendish (which Penzance does).
Bob

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am thoroughly enjoying GL Pease's Cumberland. It is a very robust, natural tobacco with a subtle sweetness. Also, the tobacco comes ready to smoke out of the tin, with a easy to pack ribbon cut. Great tobacco for breaking in a new pipe.

Wow, so a guy wants to branch off from aros and a Froggy, and everyone send him to a plug and Haddos, LOL. You are trying to give this poor man a case of Niccups, LOL.
I'd suggest instead of one of the crazy strong blends, maybe try something from the GLP Fog City Selections. They are a mild to moderate line of Virginia forward blends. I am not a latakia guy, but the way the latakia is used in the Fog City blends is amazing to me. It made me not hate them 100%, LOL. Or, try Telegraph Hill for an intro to VaPers. Or, if you want to really spice it up without the crazy strength, try Fillmore.

My favorite in this line is Laurel Heights, a nice leathery, mildly spicy Virginia, with lots of flavor.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I would recommend Caravan. It's a mild/med balkan with a small measure of latakia. The orientals really shine in this blend.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
Gaslight is the only Pease blend I've smoked. It's my current favorite for nighttime walks and/or with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong. I'm a huge Latakia fan though, and I doubt it would appeal to someone who does not appreciate that leaf.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I think I'm going to go with Telegraph Hill and Laurel Heights. I haven't tried virginia really, and want to give them a shot. I also added some PS LBF on top. Not sure how the nicotine will do with me, but we shall see.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Meridian is a friendly, approachable blend that can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
You will find that Greg Pease's quality offerings cover a wide spectrum, so do try more than one.

landon

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2013
Westminster , Gaslight ,and Chelsea Morning are my 3 favorites so far.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm late to the party, but Chelsea Morning is an excellent and user-friendly English.
Triple Play is amazing and unique. I love it. It's also a plug which can either be fun or irritating.
(This won't help)Cumberland is the only Pease blend I hoard cellar, but I prefer it 10-12 years old. :mrgreen:
Caravan and Abingdon are both wonderful English blends with very clean, pure flavors, but open them now and let them sit for a month or two. That's when the mellow out and come into their own.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I'll also add this in: If you smoke one and think you hate it, or it just doesn't match you, give it some time. Try it in a different pipe, different times of the day. Just work the tobacco a bit and come to an understanding of it.
I popped open a tin of Navigator from GL Pease a while back and was, honestly, disappointed with it at first. But I was, for whatever reason, academically intrigued as to why it disappointed me, so I kept at it. I realized that the academic interest was my inexperience and inability to fully appreciated what the tobacco was about. As I kept smoking and analyzing it, suddenly I not only started liking it, it became a true favorite of mine. So explore away, and have fun doing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.