PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
After searching for a pipe rack /cupboard in Europe within my budget and finding nothing i have bought a wall cupboard.

I now wish to make some slotted shelves for the stem and bowl to locate in.

I am asking does anyone have the dimensions for spacing the holes and sizes please.

Another question is

Do I need to drill individual holes for the bowl to sit in or can I machine one continuous slot.I would like to display the pipes sideways on if possible.

If someone has a plan it would be the best
thanks in advance
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like this design ...and the top and bottom rails could be the same, for ease of construction

218.jpg

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
Here's a pic of my first one, using tools and materials I had available. For the bottom holes I used a 1" spade bit, spaced the holes 1.5" apart. Filled the holes with felt. The top board was drilled with a 3/4" spade bit, then I ripped the board in half to make the "half-moon" shapes. Connected top and bottom with some 1/2" dowel rod, some walnut stain and satin poly I had laying around from a previous project. Good luck! I'm currently planning my next one and looking for the one design that really "speaks" to me. It's fun!
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/17712/rack-600x449.jpg

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
...After searching for a pipe rack /cupboard in Europe within my budget and finding nothing i have bought a wall cupboard...
Just curious: what is your initial budget for a pipe rack?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@ menuhin

I was prepared to pay about 300 GBP but everything I could find was much more than this around 700 plus for one holding 30 pipes.even small ones for 16 pipes second hand from USA would cost me about 150-175 GBP after import taxes

In the end I bought a cupboard for 150 GBP and will equip it and still be within the 300 even if I buy premade pipe racks for 5 pipes each (x 6) to hold 30 pipes in total

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@paulfg
I waited for quite a bit (a few years), and I got a pipe cabinet for 3 x 8 pipes with tinted windows for 30€, which normally will cost 150-200€ new and 75+€ used.
Other than that I have vintage racks mostly made in Austria, Germany, and Denmark, including one for 7 pipes, and one for 8 pipes and 10+ others. The most expensive one I paid was one made of brass made by Carl Auböck for a single pipe, but not so close to the 100€ mark.
There are lots of beautiful vintage pipe cabinets in the continental European used markets, with patience it is definitely possible to find a nice within 100€.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
And of course, custom-made pipe racks will provide even more satisfaction. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.