PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
My first estate purchase to clean up. From the modest price I paid, I assume it's a post transition pipe. At least I hope it is, as it's the first pipe I'm cleaning up myself, and if I'm going to make a mistake, I'd rather it be on a post transition Sasieni and not a pipe of some value.
The pipe is actually far cleaner than the ebay photos would have suggested. It may have been smoked a handful of times, and that's about it. The stem is cleaning up nicely, and the chamber is taking a salt and Everclear bath for the next 24 hours. Assuming I don't destroy anything, I'll post some after photos. Here are some of the before photos.
If anyone can help me put a timeframe on when it was manufactured, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The change to the "4 Dot" nomenclature occurred after 1986 (previously "Four Dot"). That looks in good shape! Have fun with your first restoration, it looks like you chose well!

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Thanks, Al. Yes, it seems like a nice pipe and a good choice for a first restoration. So far, so good in terms of doing no harm...

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Nice looking Sasieni. I like the post-transitions for what they are (the problem comes in comparing them to old Sasieni, almost any pipe looks bad next to a family era Sasieni). I always found them to be decent smokes, the two I had were better then similar Chacom or BC pipes, the only problem was two I had both disappeared into thin air.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
This is a shape I didn't previously own, and a marque I just recently heard about. If I like this one, I may make a family era my next major purchase.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Well, I didn't destroy it. First minor restoration came out reasonably successful. Everclear really adds a nice fragrance to the bowl. Oxidation came right off the stem. A few coats of wax and some gentle rubbing and it's ready for a few more decades of use. I've been taking a bit of time off from smoking, but I'll give this a smoke soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.