Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Representative? Hmmm, the three most famous are those Sable mentioned plus Three Nuns, but Three Nuns no longer has perique, so...

There are so many different types of Vapers, I wouldn't think that choosing a few to represent the whole lot of them would be valid. That's sort of like picking a color out to represent the rainbow.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If you'd like to try a McClelland Va/Per available in bulk, #2015 Virginia Perique Flake is very good.
From C&D, I'd recommend trying Bayou Morning.
For a slightly aromatic (chocolaty) flavor and loads of Perique, try 4 Noggins Prairie Wind.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Sable nailed it.
If you want something with a twist. try Cornell and Diehl Buffalo Soldier. Variety of Virginias with Large dose of perique and splash of Latakia. Great stuff. Gl Pease Piccadilly is similar with a slight bit more Latakia. I like Biffalo Soldier better, more like a Va/per.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I'd be interested to hear what it's like with a lot of age on it sablebrush52. I'll definitely be ordering more for my cellar but I doubt I'll wait 16 years!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
For me the old three nuns was the best, not much use now of course, but there are huge array of cracking blends out there. If I was you start off with cabbies blend(Sg)then try dunhill deluxe navy rolls, & finish off with St. James flake. If none of the above suit your tastes then this type of blend won't be for you.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Escudo, St. James, Fillmore for me.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Haddo's Delight is not a Va/Per. It may be good/great, but it has black Cavendish and white burley, Va/Per, not.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Haddo's Delight is not a Va/Per. It may be good/great, but it has black Cavendish and white burley, Va/Per, not.
Tobaccoreviews defines it as a VaPer
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1424/g-l-pease-haddos-delight
Pipes and Cigars refers to Haddo's Delight as a VaPer
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72784/gl-pease-haddos-delight/
Pease' description of it:
This is a stout blend consisting of several grades of Virginia tobaccos with a generous measure of long-cut perique. Unflavored Green River black Cavendish and a little air-cured white burley ribbon provide fullness, body, and a bit of extra strength. Finally, an exclusive process darkens and marries the mixture, and gives the blend a subtle tin aroma of cocoa and dried fruit. The flavor is full on the palate, earthy, slightly sweet and intriguingly piquant, with overtones of figs and raisins. A wonderful and unprecedented blend for the true perique lover!
Regardless of what's in it, it's a great smoke.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
It's a bit confusing for me: Haddo's has all the main attributes of a Va/Per with cavendish and burley added in. Nightcap is classified as an English but it has perique included. Is perique a traditional component of an English blend? I didn't think it was but I could be mistaken in my noobishness.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
"Perique is the nectar of the Gods it is!"-JarJar Crowley
I would consider Haddo's a Va/per. Would one consider PS BullsEye Flake A Va/Per?
Since this is an Original Mixture from Pease, perhaps Haddo's is really a masterful concoction.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I don't doubt it is great, I am just thinking that a VA/Per is just that. Two components. If we resort to Tobacco reviews compare the ratings of Beacon and Haddo's . Let's throw Tudor Castle and Old Gowrie in the mix if we are talking VA/Per blends. Let's just go for the best of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.