Replacing Sections of Lost Briar (video set)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Let me be the first to say:
what-sorcery-is-this.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Uh oh... it's magic. What? :puffy: :crazy:

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
That one was about ready for the fireplace. A resurrection indeed. I also enjoyed the "getting back at the stem moment". The joy did not go unnoticed. As usual, amazing work!

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
That took some mad skills no doubt. My only nit pick is that he apparently never heard of using a clamp when gluing.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Ha, ok I rewatched the whole thing instead of skimming and the clamp was mentioned. It still seems like it would have been easier to make a jig for the pipe to rest in and clamp it instead of all the unstable bricks and hammers.
But, since I have zero skills in this area, I'll withdraw my nit pick and defer to the expert.
Also, maybe I missed something. I thought you were just posting a video. I didn't realize you were the guy. :)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It still seems like it would have been easier to make a jig for the pipe to rest in and clamp it instead of all the unstable bricks and hammers.
The bricks and hammers are the direct result of having tried the jig-making route. When every case is different---sometimes by a little, sometimes a lot, but ALWAYS different---what you end up with is either a box full of used-one-time widgets, or a complex contraption with universal joints and variable-strength spring sets.
Remember, functionally repairing pipes is quite a different thing than invisibly fixing collectables; and in this Barling's case, the only way to guarantee a thin-enough-to-make-it-"disappear-able" glue line was to apply pressure that was exactly at right angles to an oblique cut, and absolutely even over the surface.
While a specialized clamp could doubtless have been made, it would have taken much longer than arranging a few heavy objects. And probably never used a second time.

I thought you were just posting a video. I didn't realize you were the guy. :)
Yeah. I avoid showing my face in those videos because it distracts from the subject matter. (All they want to talk about is how surprised they are that a "pretty girl" would take up pipe repair. The same reason my avatar is a cat, in fact.)
OK. Here's a one-time sneek peek. Just to clear this up. The real me:
ge_ZZq_HR.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's why I do pipe repair in a home shop. I KNOW I'm too ugly to go out in public, OK? :crying:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Don't listen to him George...I love the freckles. But you must have had cruel parents to name you George.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
:rofl:
Ah the golden age of cartoons. I am eternally thankful that my childhood was filled with that era of Warner Bros cartoons.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
...you must have had cruel parents to name you George.
That's just a nickname, actually. My grandma's favorite Beatle was George, and the rest just followed.
My real name---the name on my birth certificate---is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
My real name---the name on my birth certificate---is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

That's a nice Gaelic name.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

You know, it all makes perfect sense now. I would fully expect anyone with a given name like that to become the world's leading expert on the intricate and painstaking minutiae of pipe repair and restoration. :clap:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
George, to me the work process parts of the videos are the most interesting. Seeing how the tool is used, lightness of touch, angle of attack, etc. Think about showing more of that, even if you have to speed it up in the edit, if you know what I mean. I'm working on a Barling pipe at the moment, a post family era smooth 5585. I'll try the comet routine on the cross logo.
I'm going to be honest here, I don't like seeing that logo re-stamped, for me, it just looks wrong on a pipe that I know is 60+ years old. If it's worn, it's worn. I've "refreshed" the logo, to the degree it will hold white acrylic paint. To me, and I have a few Barling's pipes, that worn cross is part of the patina. Just one man's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.