PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I have an Old Boy with an outer casing (think the briar cased ones you may have seen). The case has a crack in it, and I'm going to try to replace it with a new one.
Has anyone done this? I can't seem to find instructions online. I can't imagine it's that hard, but figured I'd ask before I do something that might ruin it.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
It's in the casing. This is the lighter:
dSVtg2f8-U-3000x3000.png

Music City doesn't have those white acrylic skins on hand as this type hasn't been sold in the US, apparently. The place I bought it from is sending me a new skin.
I'm basically debating whether to send the skin to Music City and have them replace it, or just have them send me back my lighter and replace it myself. They seem to indicate it's easy to do, I just haven't done it before.

Jun 27, 2016
Let's see if this image works...
43531d1364668017-corona-old-boy-parts-old-boy-ersatzteile.jpg

I've taken down and repaired a bunch of different lighters, but not an Old Boy of any make as of yet, so this is just going on what I have seen in front of me, and what I see in that pic. Based on the exploded layout above, it looks like you would (empty the gas), remove tamper, remove the fill valve cover, remove the center screw on the bottom, and possibly, hopefully, leave the flame adjustment regulator screw in place (hard to tell from the pic), then remove the bottom plate.
(IF the bottom plate hangs up on the flame adjustment screw and will not pass over it, you'll have to remove that too. Make sure gas is empty, and keep the BOTTOM of the lighter upright until you get the adjuster back in because you don't want to disturb the internals of the regulator assembly. If you have to take that screw out, take it out right before you pull the plate, and then put it right back in before proceeding with your work, in order to keep the regulator assembly intact and undisturbed. Also, adding gas while that adjustment screw is out, or removing that screw while the lighter has gas in it will most likely blow out the regulator pieces onto the floor or cause them to flip around in the regulator tube, and then you are possibly screwed.)
Once you get that bottom plate off, you will most likely be able to slide the sleeve that you want to replace off of the brass gas tank. My guess is that you would not have to take down any portion of the top part of the assembly, although you may have to slightly loosen the top plate in order to slide the sleeve off or to get the best fitment with the new one.
Good luck!

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Thank you - appreciate that!
Maybe it'd be smarter just to send the case on to Music City, I have a feeling that'd be a lot less risky and there would be a responsible party who-is-not-me ;)

Jun 27, 2016
I'm guessing that any cosmetic material is attached to a metal sleeve similar to the metal-bodied versions, and that is treated as one part. It would serve to look good, align the top and bottom pieces, provide overall structural rigidity, and protect the gas tank. Looking at the pic again, it would be good to know if they recommend having a new giant o-ring on hand when swapping the sleeve out.

Status
Not open for further replies.