PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spigot

Lurker
Apr 29, 2018
I use McClelland Blending Oriental for my personal mixture, but since they closed I'm looking for a replacement.

If there's a lot of mixture with orientals tobaccos in them, I can't find only orientals product.
Someone have a suggestion about that?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I use McClelland Blending Oriental for my personal mixture, but since they closed I'm looking for a replacement.

If there's a lot of mixture with orientals tobaccos in them, I can't find only orientals product.
Someone have a suggestion about that?
McClelland sourced some of their Orientals from Sutliff, and you can buy Sutliff blending Orientals at Mars Cigars:
http://www.marscigars.com/blendingtobaccos.aspx
They will special order them for you from Sutliff as these are not generally end consumer products.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
@Sable,
Can you specify which Orientals McC sourced from Sutliff? Were any of the Grand Oriental Series made with Sutliff tobaccos?
I've used McC Blended Turkish Ribbon for years, and it's not that much different from the tinned Oriental McC sold in 50g tins. BTR was maybe a bit sweeter, as I've heard it's a blend of Greek and Turkish with Virginia or a bit of Burley.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can you specify which Orientals McC sourced from Sutliff? Were any of the Grand Oriental Series made with Sutliff tobaccos?
Nope. This bit of info could only be revealed because McClelland closed up shop and in the aftermath Sutliff has stated that they supplied leaf to McClelland. The only component that I specifically remember is the Syrian Latakia that Sutliff supplied to McClelland. You could try contacting Sutliff to ask what they supplied.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
P&C Smyrna is quite good, I use it a lot. Probably Sutliff. It is unfortunate that McC Grand Orientals are gone. I used a lot of those in blends. At least i have about a dozen tins left.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
The Grand Oriental line was (to steal a line from Sam Spade) "the stuff dreams were made of."

I would try P&C's blending Orientals, the times I have used them they were excellent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mixing and supplementing with established (grandfathered) condiments is going to become a way of life if FDA puts the squeeze on newer blends. I'm hoping the micro-regulating will fall by the wayside, but I'm not counting on it. Cigar leaf, dark-fired, various Orientals, unflavored Cavendish black and light, and burley or variants like Tabac-Mani and Five Brothers can make creative changes in other blends, or with Virginias. In the case of pipe tobacco blenders, these regs amount to a war on mom and pop outfits and artisan blenders, which doesn't seem like a noble cause. Ahem.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I wrote Sutliff and was told that they did not provide McClelland with Oriental blending tobacco but that they did sometimes use the same source for their Oriental blending tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wrote Sutliff and was told that they did not provide McClelland with Oriental blending tobacco but that they did sometimes use the same source for their Oriental blending tobacco.
Well, I stand corrected. In any event, the component is one thing, and the processing is another. So reproducing the exact same thing as McClelland would have been unlikely.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Here is the pertinent part of the email:
"While we did provide McClelland with the base for many of his products, Orientals was not one of them. However, we do have some blends that may be a great alternative. I cannot be 100% certain – but I do believe we sourced some of our Orientals from the same supplier."
That said, I requested more information.

Jun 27, 2016
I think I just picked up an ounce of that Sutliff blending ori. I know I got some Stokkebye 313 in. At some point in the near-future, I'm gonna see how they compare with my go-to D&R Blenders Bench Oris. :puffpipe: I like the D&RBBs, or you could try the whole-leaf route. Those are usually pretty good, too.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
@aquadoc,
I'm really interested in hearing the results of your inquiry, Please post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.