PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Recently I purchased an estate family-era Sasieni Four Dot Natural Regent pipe, sans stem, and I have some questions concerning a replacement:

1. Did Sasieni use stem blanks or hand-cut stems in the manufacture of their pipes during the family era?

2. If both, then which would this Regent model (see images below) have featured?

3. What type of bit would the Regent model have featured?

4. Who would be the best source to produce a stem which is as true as possible to the original?
Thank-you for your help with the answers to these questions!
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I can answer 2 and 3, it's a Four Dot, and would have a taper stem, see here,
http://pipepages.com/64sas18.htm
this,
regent-001-600x450.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
dmcmtk:
Thank-you for your response. I had previously found the page to which you provided the link on Mr. Keene's Pipe Pages, but was uncertain if the stem on Shape No. 16 was correct for my pipe, as it did not feature any dots. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the pipe appears to have been rendered in a drawing, and therefore the dots did not show?
Edit: Thank-you for adding the photograph! That certainly looks like the pipe bowl which I purchased.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yes, the catalog shows the shapes by number, in variations in all the lines, 16 is the Regent, see pic above.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you are looking for a handcut stem that will be an exact duplicate of the factory original and are willing to pay for the work, contact RonnieB at Night Owl Pipeworks.
http://www.nightowlpipeworks.com/
If an affordable approximation will suffice then Walker is the way to go.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
If you are looking for a handcut stem that will be an exact duplicate of the factory original and are willing to pay for the work, contact RonnieB at Night Owl Pipeworks.
I don't know if Ronni does the Dots. He does do excellent hand cut stems. Always worth a phone call...

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
sablebrush52, Walker will do hand cut stems as well, right? I remember you recommended Mike to re-stem a Barling for me, but I cannot remember if that was mostly because he could apply the Barling Cross logo.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Walker does offer hand cut shaping of stems and he does offer the Sasieni dots. But looking at the stem work that Mike did for Sam, VS what Ronnie did for me with regard to Barlings suggests to me that Ronnie gets it perfect while Mike's is good, but not correct.
I don't know if Ronnie does the dots, but definitely worth a call or an email.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I will have to wait to see the Barling replacement stem Mike is making for me. What was off about the stems Sam had made? From what I could tell the stems flared a bit from shank to just before the saddle, but I do not know enough to pick up on other details.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Sablebrush52, I was typing as you posted your follow-up. I did not request hand cut, only "maker correct" with the logo. The stem will cost $30 ($20 for the stem, $10 for the logo) as part of a complete restoration.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
huntertrw, Will you be so kind as to pass along his quoted price on the work? We would all probably also like to know if he adds the dots.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sablebrush52, I was typing as you posted your follow-up. I did not request hand cut, only "maker correct" with the logo. The stem will cost $30 ($20 for the stem, $10 for the logo) as part of a complete restoration.
The patented Barling stems of the mid '30's onward tapered to a wide thin flat shape with a nice tall bit that made them extremely comfortable and secure in ones mouth. The airway funneled outward over about the final 3/8" of its length in a curve ended lozenge shape that spread the smoke and helped avoid tongue bite. The pictures that I saw did not have the curved ends to the funnel and did not spread as wide. They looked like a standard rectangular opening. The button shape, which echos the airway is also a different shape. Sam did some work on them himself to improve the airway shape if I remember correctly.
The Barling stem shape is not an easy one to make. Some factory made stems show flaws, particularly after 1962 when a lot of new workers were added to Barling's staff.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was watching that pipe and exchanged a few emails with Steve on the stem width. I purchased a Sasieni box and bag and it came with a 4 Dot pipe complete with a giant hole in the middle of the bowl. But the stem is perfect. Sadly, it was too small in diameter(too large might have worked). Ronnie will make a great stem for you, that bowl looks worthy of the expense.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
sablebrush52, I wonder if any other contemporary pipe maker devoted so much labor to the production of stems. Sam did do an admirable job opening up the airway at the bit.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"huntertrw, Will you be so kind as to pass along his quoted price on the work? We would all probably also like to know if he adds the dots. "
I heard from Mr. Bikacsan at NightOwl PipeWorks (NightOwl PipeWorks), and his charge for a correct hand-cut replacement stem would be $85.00 plus $9.00 for return shipping.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I heard from Mr. Bikacsan at NightOwl PipeWorks (NightOwl PipeWorks), and his charge for a correct hand-cut replacement stem would be $85.00 plus $9.00 for return shipping.
Is that with the dots?

Status
Not open for further replies.