PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I found a box of pipe bowls i got from ebay a long time ago and Ive finally got some time to put into them. I was wondering where the best place is to get replacement stems for them. I have a couple of Stanwell's a Comoys and 2 Petes. i think they will make for some decent smokers. Most of the are medium/ long shank.
Cheers,
Jason

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Mike, at Walker Pipe Repair, does excellent work. I had him cut new stems for a Dunhill Root Briar and Savinelli for me, and he did a fine job. His turn around time is a little long due to volumes, but was worth it for me. You can find him here: http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/
There are a few other shops which folks swear by, but I have no first hand knowledge of others.
-- Pat

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Pruss, I'm wanting to take as stab at fitting the stems myself. Are the stems he sells workable for sanding and fitting most pipes. I know they say they fit MM pipes but the stems on my MM's seem to have a really fat tenon with thin walls.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've used Norwood pipe repair (norwoodpiperepair.com) with great results. Nice guy, fast turnaroud, excellent work. He did a replacement stem for a Dunhill, complete with authentic-looking white dot.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pruss, I'm wanting to take as stab at fitting the stems myself. Are the stems he sells workable for sanding and fitting most pipes. I know they say they fit MM pipes but the stems on my MM's seem to have a really fat tenon with thin walls.
I can't rightly say. I had Mike, cut and shape new vulcanite stems for two briar pipes for me. If you're looking for pipe blanks to fit and shape yourself, perhaps you'd be better off buying blanks from someone. I don't think I can help out with pointing you in the right direction there...
-- Pat
PS - I've heard wonderful things about Norwood and they'll be getting my next stem business, based solely on reputation; even though I have had no first-hand experience with them.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Also you can get stems from JH Lowe (Tim West) or Steve Norse--"VT Freehand" on Ebag.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Ha! Snags we did. After looking at my box of pipe bowls i realized I had way more I wanted to repair than just the original Stanwell we talked about. I didn't want to take advantage of your generosity. I'm on a roll tonight broke out the sandpaper on 3 bowls already.
Thanks for the suggestions I'll check them out.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
It may seem like generosity at first until you try to fit one without any power tools, then you may curse me. I think I also have atleast a dozen to restem, when you figure out you can do it you buy bowls or pipes with crappy stems because you know you can fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.