PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
Every Christmas my wife ( I mean Santa) would drop a few tins of Christmas Cheer into my stocking. What would be a good replacement for this since it is no longer being made? One problem is that it won’t really be smoked during the holidays, at least for that year, because We are pretty much at the tail end at that point. It would have to be something that could be aged at least a year or so. Any suggestions?

This year will be weird without those tins in my stocking.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
McCranies Red Flake........... not an exact match but damn good stuff!!............ :puffy:

http://www.mccranies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Both suggestions are good. I'd also suggest C&D Carolina Red Flake.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
True, great ideas. But even though I am done with the holidays, I would like some kind of holiday tie in.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Troutface: no, I don't, but with the way things can be, I figure somebody might have some for sale somewhere.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
McClelland has an array of excellent Virginia blends that will smoke now or age well. Just stroll through their web pages at any of the online retailers and follow your heart. The Christmas blend was a fine tradition, but with a bit of entertaining research, you will likely find one or more satisfying substitutes.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
In my humble opinion, McClelland's rules the roost on Virginia tobacco. Mike and Mary McNiel (and Mary's father before her), cultivated the farmers who produce the world's finest Virginia leaf. I've smoked just about every vintage of Christmas Cheer over the years, and they are indeed exemplary, but no Virginia that I have ever smoked has topped the new 40th Anniversary Blend. It is simply a tobacco that provides a richness and depth that I've never found in an all Virginia tobacco. I can only imagine what it will taste like in 5-10 years. If you want a replacement for Christmas Cheer, you sure could do worse than 40th Anniversary.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Perhaps McClelland Blackwoods flake would do? It's red and stoved Virginias.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Damn Pipestud, I have several tins of 40th McC , but haven’t smoked any yet. You set off a TAD explosion in my little brain, better than Christmas cheer equals 20 or so tins for the future. going to the cellar in 5 minutes to immediately pop a tin and dry that stuff overnight . Totally agree on McClelland Virginia’s being awesome in general . Rob C. got me hooked on 2015 after getting an aged sample with a pipe purchase.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I concur with Alan that hearing Pipestud’s endorsement of the 40th, has set off the TAD. McClelland 2015 is great right from the start, I can only see it getting better.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Last year I bought some Christmas Cheer 2016 from a local shop. I didn’t pick up the 2017, figuring I could do so later. (The shop had just received some Esoterica tins & bags and I was focused on those.) Of course, when I went back, the 2017 Christmas Cheer was all sold out. I have purchased some of the 40th Anniversary, but haven’t smoked it yet. After reading some of the endorsements here, I might have to order a couple more tins & try some of what I have. I originally had planned to give them some time first.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Why was CC discontinued? There's a few years left before deeming would prohibit its sale. Is it because McClellands ages the tobacco for 5 years before blending and tinning, and thus the time this process takes rolls into deeming?

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I thought a change in the deeming date came later, in 2017 ? I could be wrong on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.