Replacement Blades for Castelford Reamer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Are there such things or do they never wear out? I was thinking about getting a used one of the bay but have always wondered about this question. Thanks for your help as always.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
According to Pruss in his Pipnet vs Castleford review, it isn't so much the blades that wear out but the plastic where the handle and the bit come together.
I'm in the market for a reamer as well; I haven't looked at E-bay, but they are available new from Amazon for $20.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I believe they are molded in place. The more expensive Pipe-net reamer looks much more durable and will be the one I get next time.
Forum member Pat did a nice comparison over on the Reborn Pipes Blog.
http://rebornpipes.com/2014/07/20/castleford-pipnet-reamer-side-by-side-comparison-pat-russell/

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pruss' review is on target. I've owned both and the Pipnet is by far the better product. The Castleford set that I first bought turned out to have a flaw in the shaping of one of the blades that I missed, which caused it to gouge out the wall of the first pipe in which I used it. The Castleford is a cheap Chinese knock off of the Pipnet.
The Castleford went to its much deserved destination in the recycle bin. My Pipnet sets do their job very well.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the kind words on the review guys. I got lucky, in that the PipNet reamer I have was a gift. I'd highly recommend the purchase of a PipNet reamer, in addition to the benefits mentioned in my review, the blades appear to be a carbide of some sort and just slide through cake so much easier than the Castleford blades. If a PipNet reamer is impossible to find, I'd buy a Castleford again before any other reamer.
$0.05 in the bucket.
--Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.