PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
Hey, guys, I need a bit of help. I have a Kaldenberg meerschaum from 1868 and the genuine amber stem got a bit damaged on the way from Britain. I do not wish to smoke this as the research is revealing that this pipe has a link to a ceremony during the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad, General Grenville Dodge, and his engineering the Union Pacific route.
I wish to repair the couple of pieces where they broke at the shank (the bit and bend is still in great condition). I have seen where some have used clear epoxy resin and heating the amber up before applying the epoxy so it can get into the areas that are cracked.
Do you have any recommendations about repairing pieces of amber? This pipe will probably never be smoked and will possibly wind up in a museum so I didn't want to have a new one made or put on a lucite stem. Any help is greatly appreciated!

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Repairing an amber stem should be left to a professional with experience repairing them, especially a pipe with the historical significance of yours.
I don't know where you got the advice to use epoxy and to heat the stem, but I question it. Amber becomes brittle with age and can shatter if heated or even if not handled properly.

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
For sure and I COMPLETELY agree. I wanted to seek out a professional, so any suggestions would be wonderful. Someone told me "try super glue".....I just went 8O :rofl: 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.