PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Hey:
First, a little about my piping ways. I usually smoke cobs where I have replaced the stem with a reed stem. I like a longer church warden or "semi-churchwarden" stem. Also, I avoid clenching as it will give me a headache and TMJ issues if done too much. It's hard to clench a reed stem. It's what I prefer now.
Plus, I'm a hillbilly. ;)
Anyway, the point is that pipe appearance doesn't really matter to me. I have a couple briars and a cob which I keep nice for smoking away from home and that covers that.
I recently was able to cheaply purchase a few used briars which were pretty beat up. I picked mostly pipes where the stem was trashed but the bowl was in good shape. Perfect to add my own stem and have some knock around briars for home use. However, on one of them I need to repair a crack in the bowl.
It's a nice big, thick walled bowl. It has a crack in the exterior which does not appear to go to the inside. It's not hairline, but it's not a whole lot bigger than that. It would be nice to fill it with something nice and strong but non-toxic (just in case). So super glue and epoxy are out, and I'd like something stronger than wood glue.
Any ideas?
fAZN7Ye.jpg

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Well if it doesn't go through to the bowl, I wouldn't worry about it much. But that is not really your question. You could try elmer's school glue and briar dust. If its pretty much hair line size, it will be hard to get anything to stick to it.

Look through Steve Laug's reborn briar refurb website and you can probably see all options. Smoke it, if it breaks or burns out, you can find another lot of pipes with chewed up stems on ebay for a song.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Wood putty , you can match colors to a certain extent. It drys hard. Quick wipe down. I have tried the tube stuff, pre mixed stuff in a small jar, and the need to mix stuff. Get the premixed stuff, tube is easiest to use. Works great.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
another lot of pipes with chewed up stems on ebay for a song.
I actually got these at a local B&M which has a selection of estate pipes. He has a box of pipes he doesn't want to mess with. I got the 4 with great briar for $15. The rest had cracks or burnouts. Only got this one with a crack because it is nicely thick walled. I wouldn't mind finding some nice briar bowls on eBay for cheap.
Have a photo of the briar in question?
I'll work on that. It's home in a box right now. I am having carpal tunnel fixed and am one handed. I'm bored and dying to tinker with something.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have a way of making hard-used pipes all your own. Should you ever decide to break for a new briar pipe, I see you as a natural owner of a Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog, made in the foothills of Sparta, N.C. Nice acrylic stem, and you can leave out the filter.
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/dr-grabow-royalton-tobacco-pipe-smooth/

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I've got a few decent briars "unmodified". I care for them pretty well. This will allow me to to use briars more, abuse some, and the like.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Here's another of the knock around briars. Looks OK for back porch smoking'. 'Specially at around $4. If I feel like it I'll fit a black stem from a MM hardwood to it. It needs just a little sanding. This one was pretty lightly smoked, although the stem was trashed.

vVz5VOf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.