PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
I have a couple of Cobs that I have broken the stems loose from the bowl.
What is the best way to glue the stem back to the bowl?
Thanks.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Elmer's wood glue. Put a small bead around the opening in the bowl and slide the stem back in.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'd use a wee bit of wood glue if you talking about the stem coming out of the bowl. If the stem is broken at or outside the bowl I doubt you could do a good, lasting repair. Not sure this helps as I'm not sure I fully understand the situation.
And! Whatever it is you do that causes the failure . . . stop doing that!

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks guys, I do have some white wood glue, just didn't know if it would take the heat.
they popped out when I twisted the bit out :-(
next step is to tighten up some of the bit's. I have 2 new one that are so loose the bowls start to roll to one side or the other while trying to smoke them. I have heard that some thin layers of super glue on the end of the bit allowed to dry can snug them up some.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks newbroom, that sounds better than using glue maybe, not sure about how superglue may tast when heated "LOL"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, I'll be the old fuss budget who says that the part that fits in the bowl is the shank; the stem is the plastic, vulcanite or

acrylic part that fits in the shank and has the bit on the end. It was Confucius who said, to have a good society we must first

define our words. I think my nomenclature is correct, but if not, let me know. By the way, are these Missouri Meerschaum pipes?

On Old Dominion pipes the shank and the stem are all one thing, a thin bamboo reed, so in that case, I guess it is "all stem," and

in that case my above "correction" would be wrong. I too am interested to know that white "Elmer's" type glue works for this purpose.

I think I'd trust it more than most glues to not give off bad fumes.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks jonnyreb I can give the Beeswax a try but if they wont tighten them up I can remove that if need be.

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks mso489, old fuss budgets are the ones that help teach us beginners the ropes. They are in fact Missouri Meerschaum pipes, the part that has come out is the wood or what ever it is that is inserted to the bowl. I think that there are some white wood glues that are food safe so I may go over to the woodworking shop Saturday and get some. Hmm I know they have pen kits, wonder if they have pipe kits too???
The yellow plastic parts of the stem on the new pipes are the part that has very little friction to hold them in place and I would have to have a lap full of burning tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.