PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Friends, I have inherited a problem. This lovely Trypis bowl was a throw-in from the owner on my last antique store haul. After reaming the pipe I discovered that the draught hole was completely blocked, when I tried to drive a cleaner through, it came out the hole in the bottom of the bowl. What I originally thought was an external gouge appears to be the result of a mis-guided attempt to re-bore a draught hole through horrible cake/tar/dottle build up.
See the pictures below:

I am inclined to do the following:
1) Soak the bowl in alcohol

2) Work the original draught hole open with brushes, picks and cleaners

3) Bore out the hole in the bottom of the bowl

4) Back fill the hole in the bottom of the bowl with pipe mud to the level of the original draught hole

5) Cap the hole in the bottom of the bowl with a decorative cap (cap from a .22 cartridge, small coin)
This is a new repair for me and I would really value your ideas/feedback/direction.
Thanks for reading this, and in advance for your thoughts.
-- Pat

Aug 1, 2012
That is pretty close to what I would do but I would use a hardwood plug to fill the hole and then cover that on the inside with a thin layer of fireplace mortar. Good luck on the repair and let us know what you decide to do.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks lads. With regards to a plug, I don't like the idea of having a "fill" per-se of briar dust and glue on the bottom of the pipe. So how would you make the plug? I do have some beater estate pipes that are never going to see the happy side of a smoke again... I could cut a plug from one of those old smokers.
Thoughts?
-- Pat

Aug 1, 2012
I see no problem with cutting a plug from a dead pipe. Just smooth out the hole, cut a plug to fit, tap it in, smooth it over and cover the inside of the heel with pipe mud or fireplace mortar. I hesitate to use adhesive as that part of the pipe will see heat and therefore could cause some toxic vapor. You could get all fancy about it but that's my take.
Now to see what the guys with a bit more wisdom and experience say. Threads like this are great for my learning too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've seen a plug, but have no idea how to do this.

Have you done this before ejames? (I'd love to see some pictures/process)

Typris pipes are well regarded, so that should be worthy of a repair attempt.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Screw a brass (no rust) flathead screw down into the hole and file it off on the bottom of the pipe.

Use a screw with fine threads for better purchase of the wood. It will look like a brass stud, but a plug

would be visible too. You should probably clean up the hole with a drill before inserting the screw to

prevent break-out of the wood. Briar is tough stuff -- it works like steel, so treat it like steel.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
If it was mine I would drill that Boger Red out the size of a 22 cal caseing, push it thru the hole from the btm haveing cut it so the rim is flush with inside btm of bowl and then fill caseing and btm of bowl with fireplace mortar, when they ask you about the shell, tell them that"s where I keep my extra ammo.

Dec 24, 2012
Wow, Pat, you are one patient man. I would pitch it. Sounds like a ton of work. I guess if you enjoy it though, then go for it.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Now THAT looks like a challenge Pat. Keep posting here so we can see your progress. I know you love those pipes and will do whatever to salvage them

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thank you all for your ideas and recommendations.
Bradley, I had initially thought about plugging with a .22 casing, I like that look, especially given that any plug here is going to decrease the value of the pipe... so I might as well go with a character builder/conversation piece. I do wonder how the brass would play with the briar over time.
I'm thinking that a briar plug, tapped in, would expand and contract with the briar bowl at the same rate and with sanding I'd be able to mount it seamlessly. I think I will stain it differently than the rest of the pipe, so that the plug is obvious and distinct from the bowl.
First things first though. I'm going to start the bowl in the alcohol bath tonight and then spend tomorrow trying to clean the plug out of the original draught hole.
Wow, Pat, you are one patient man. I would pitch it. Sounds like a ton of work. I guess if you enjoy it though, then go for it.
My wife and colleagues might beg to differ on the 'patient' part... I am truly enjoying learning how to restore pipes, and see stuff like this as an opportunity to try new things. The worst case scenario if I pooch this job is that the bowl ends up in the bin anyway, but at least I'll have the experience so when I see the problem again I'll know what to do. I also hold to a romantic ideal that I'm keeping someone's craft alive by upcycling an old pipe like this. If I do this right, this pipe will smoke for years and years...
I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks again!
-- Pat

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've seen a plug, but have no idea how to do this.

Have you done this before ejames? (I'd love to see some pictures/process)

Typris pipes are well regarded, so that should be worthy of a repair attempt.

I've done this type of repair on a couple of pipes. The first was a Nording 20. I detailed how I did it here--
http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about3903.html

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Shoot, I don't remember if I'm a member of the Grabow forum. If not, I'll join and read that repair James, thanks I'm quite curious as to how this is done. I've seen it done on a pipe repaired by Ronnie at Night Owl Pipe Repair, it looked great.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Ed, thanks for posting that link. Having a visual as well as your walk through is really helpful. I think I'll widen the hole a little more than I was originally anticipating. I'll also see if I can find some briar pen blanks at Lee Valley. That might be easier than chopping an old pipe down to size.
The bowl is soaking in isopropyl now. More pics and progress tomorrow gents.
Cheers,
-- Pat

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Check these out. I've bought from this guy several times. Great to deal with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151051413244?var=450178564481&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, tremendous work Ed! I'll post a couple of repair pix here for folks that can't view the Grabow board. I'm sure that gentleman was very pleased with that repair! I don't have the equipment for that kind of repair, but it is great to be able to view the process.
2013-04-08+002+%281280x960%29.jpg

Nording+20+2013-04-08+004+%281280x1038%29.jpg

pyratemate

Lurker
Feb 6, 2013
WOW! Never know the plug was put into the bowl. How long was plug that was used? Did the chamber have to be bored to accommodate it? This was GREAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.