PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
The Cult Blood Red Moon thread has me wondering about which other tinned tobacco's are repackaged bulk blends sold under an alias. Do you know of any? List them here!

You'll have to be discerning with considering comment here, because unless they were told by someone in the company, comments will just be opinions. In asking the Lane rep who delivers their products at The Briary, he will give a nod or a wink wink to questions about this or that being the same as this or that, but a company man is most likely not going to go on the record saying something is the same as a cheaper version in bulk.
But, it may be helpful to know whether a bulk that is similar to something that comes in tin, but knowing that something is "exact" will just be an opinion also.
For example, I really like Sutliff's Molto Dolce occasionally, and their bulk Creme Brulee is similar... but not exact. I like the tinned version way more. It seems to have an extra flavor added that isn't in the bulk.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Much about tobacco blends and pipes themselves is not shared. Secrecy is necessary so that Lane, for example, can sell their product under their own name but also make a good profit selling it to others to sell as their own. Likewise, house pipes are sometimes mysterious about their origins. In terms of marketing, it makes sense, and it keeps production and profits up, so consumers are benefited by keeping prices affordable and supplies available. Sure, it's a marketing game, but necessary. It's fun to track down the real sources, but makes sense to simply sample various affordable tobaccos and discover the ones that taste and smoke suspiciously well.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
For example, I really like Sutliff's Molto Dolce occasionally, and their bulk Creme Brulee is similar... but not exact. I like the tinned version way more.
I agree...similar but not exact. I like Molto Dolce more than the Creme Brulee.

I believe that it was Sutliff's Paul Creasy on the PM radioshow that said that the differences between Molto Dolce and Creme Brulee was that there was an extra topping on MD. Or, maybe I heard it at a pipe show. I can't remember now.
I imagine that there may be subtle or extreme differences between the bulk and tinned versions, depending on the blend. I do know that Brian on the radioshow has pointed out some differences between some companies tins and bulks, such as Dunhill blends always packaged the better leaf in the tins. But, it is not a consistent practice across the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.