PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2017
This is more of a modification post than a repair post, and I'll probably get flak for this. I prefer using filters in my pipes. However, in the States it seems a good majority are fitted to be filterless. This has resulted in some of my pipes accepting filters and most that don't. My question is, is there any good way to remove the tenon to adapt the pipe for, say, a 9mm filter?

May 4, 2015
I'll leave the drilling and mod question to those who are smart about such things, but if all else fails, you may find that Nording Keystones or even some broken up terra cotta at the bottom of your bowl give you a comparable result.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
I would say it all depends upon the tenon and shank and that juncture. I suppose some tenons, if material allows and integrity is not compromised, can be drilled out to accept the filter 6mm? 9mm?. But as pipesmokingtom says, I will also leave this (explanation) to the experts.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Definitely possible on some stems, shouldn't be attempted on others. In-hand inspection (or really good photos) is the only way to know for sure.

Nov 12, 2017
Georged, what should I look for when inspecting? All but one of my pipes are in great condition, with no damage to the stem faces or stem. Maybe I'll have time to upload pictures later. One of them, however, I snapped the tenon when I was still learning how to smoke (removed the stem while hot), and I had it repaired. Probably won't attempt anything with that one due to loss of structural integrity.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This gets complicated... too much to type out/explain, especially to a non-shop person.
Basically, the filter size you hope to use with the pipe must be known in advance, and MOST of the variables flow from that. There are plenty of exceptions, though.
Pics if you have or can get them, otherwise send the pipes you want converted to a good repairman (along with some filters), and have him decide which are OK to cut on, and which are not.
Sorry, but that's the best I can do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.