PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Hey all,
I've got a pretty nice Stanwell, handmade sandblasted pipe from Denmark. The grain looks pretty nice, as far as I can tell, but it's blasted, and I was thinking that maybe it would look better smooth.
Anyone have any experience with turning one of their sandblasted pipes into a smooth one? Assuming the briar is a good block without pits, is there anything that can go horribly wrong?
I was planning to use sandpaper and a lot of patience to carefully remove the roughness so that not too much wood is taken off in the process. Afterward I would probably just coat it with wax.
I'm interested to hear any advice from someone who has done this before!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If some aspect of a pipe annoyed me, I would put it away for a time, or turn it over to someone else.

I wouldn't mutilate it. Like Cosmic said, the maker obviously decided that a blast would be the best

treatment for that pipe's finish.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I think cosmic has nailed it. Smooth pipes will usually sell at a premium, so if the manufacturer could sell a smooth pipe for a higher dollar value, why sandblast it unless you have too?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
why sandblast it unless you have too?
Well, I personally like the appearance of blasts, and with increasing age and arthritis, the rough surface helps me grip the pipe.

But as you say, most makers want to show off the grain of a great piece of wood.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Short answer is don't do it as you'll probably be disappointed with the end result. Stanwell sand blasts are great pipes. The above comments are very valid.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Sandblast consists of high areas where the briar was harder and low points where the softer briar was removed...By the time you sand it down to the level of the low points, you will have screwed up the shape and have walls that are too thin....
If you insist on making a sandblast pipe smooth, buy a six pack of good beer, get some wood putty, smear on a liberal coat and sand it down until smooth....It will look ugly as sin and probably emit toxic fumes from the filler, but you will at least have spent several hours enjoying some fine beer...:)

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Interesting responses, however, it looks like nobody here has attempted it. It also seems that there is some emotion tied in with someone suggesting the removal of a sandblast, which is charming...
Whenever I get around to it and actually finish removing the blast, I'll post some pictures of the result.
Again, if anyone has *actually* done this and has a related experience to share, it will be interesting to hear from you.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
If I were going to sand down a blasted into a smooth I would strip the finish off first to reveal the possibility of excessive fill or other imperfections that can't be hidden by a wax finish alone. Please post some before and after pics.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Metarzan- That's a good tip that I hadn't considered. Wouldn't be too difficult to refinish the pipe. I've had a good look at it and it does look like it's in pretty good shape. The underlying grain in the blast looks interesting to me. I suspect there could be a combination of birds eye on one side and a flame on the other. It's a pipe from around the 60's, so who knows, maybe they were churning them out of the shop so fast at that time that they didn't even need to consider underlying defects.
I will find out. Here's some pictures of it before.

img_9302-450x600.jpg

img_9301-450x600.jpg

img_9304-450x600.jpg

I'm going to attack it slowly to keep the shape. With a bit of patience, I think it's possible to remove the blast without ruining the pipe. What lays beneath is what it is. But maybe it seems more simple than it is.
p.s. For any of you folks who are cringing at the idea of removing the blast, you can save this poor innocent pipe, but you only have one day to wire the funds into my account. I'll sell it for $750.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
From a manufacturing point, Cosmic has it correct. A fine block of briar with exceptional grain and little to no flaws doesn't get chosen to be sandblasted. Sandblasting allows makers to use cosmetically inferior wood and turn it into something interesting.
As experiments go, if this ends up as a lump of wood and a pile of sawdust, the OP won't have lost much money.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I have done this using the same technique you mentioned.

The pipe needed some fills and other cosmetic repairs. I wanted to try something other than blending in the spots to the sandblast so I just sanded it smooth. The bad part was the blast was deep in some parts and I didn't want to keep sanding so I filled those spots in. I'm not sure if it's the lighting but it looks like the shank of your pipe might have this problem.

I don't have pictures of the pipe but it turned out nice. Like others have said, the pipe I worked on was sandblasted for a reason. The grain was not ugly, just boring.

Good luck! Make sure you keep us updated on your project.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Yes, this should be interesting to follow. Either the itinerant pipe craftsman will triumph with a new masterpiece in the form of a transformed pipe or the dust of failure will be swept up from the shop floor and discarded.
Please post pictures of the finished project!

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Posts like this remind me of that:
Hey, I have a pretty nice Dunhill billiard, but I was wondering how it would look as a pot. Has anyone ever used a hack saw to remove a half inch of the bowl?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Well, while all the comments about why it was sandblasted to start with are highly probably in my reasoning, I still like unadoptedlamp's persistence and stubborn hardheadedness. Hahaha Ive taken off on projects I knew would ruin the item yet it turned into two eBooks, and a repair business thats netted me some nice spare cash to buy more toys with. Everything is a learning process and can be turned into good somehow. Taking risks is the essence of life itself.

So, unadoptedlamp, ...Carry on Soldier. And please share your pics later, good or bad so we can all learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.