Pipes Magazine » New Member Introductions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Removing Peterson Silver Ferrule?

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I just picked up a Peterson Supreme with a silver ferrule, and it is kinda dinged up. I am pretty sure I can smooth out the dents, but can't get the damn thing off the shank. I tried denatured alcohol with no luck. Does anyone have an idea what solvent to use to remove the band? I thought I would try here before contacting Peterson.
    Thanks.
    Mike

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I was able to remove mine with a little heat from a heat gun (hobby shop, used to rebending stems as well). Be careful, you need just enough to soften the glue. Those ferrules are incredibly thin, like wafer thin.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ruined mine by crushing it. 1971 sterling silver and it was incredibly thin.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

As Owen says, you are going to ruin it. I have done that once.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just leave it be and refer to the dent as patina!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of using a heat gun. I just finished using my heat gun to raise the dents in the mouthpiece and the mouthpiece on another Peterson from the same owner. I have popped out dents in other Peterson silver ferrules over the years, but never had one glued on so tight. I may try Acetone to see if that will work. A Q Tip can be used to press out the dents from the inside. A small wooden dowel with a rounded end can also be used, but generally a Q Tip will suffice.
    Mike

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've had success, with ferrule on a shaped dowel, as Hagley describes. A little heat made the ferrule soft enough to work out the dent nicely. But, I have another Pete with a stuck ferrule that no amount of heat will budge (it has a ding as well).

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes leave well alone!

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd except the wear on the ferrule as part of the pipe's character. Trying to make it new looking sounds like delicate surgery, not worth the risk. I'm echoing earlier posts and voting with them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got any pics of the dent. ?

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. slowroll

slowroll

Login to Send PM

It may be the dent is causing it to be tight. Doesn't need to be much of a dent to grab the shank tightly. I vote with leaving it alone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. brendhain

brendhain

Login to Send PM

I guess the decision to risk damaging the ring should be balanced by the potential benefits if you are successful. Wouldthe potential end result would be worth the risk of completely damaging the ring while removing it? Plus, if you go for the heat gun attempt then after it is heated then try to twist the ring as you remove it. Have you tried the freezer trick? Works with stuck stems!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, supdog, georged, jfred, redglow, elpfeife, ben88, trubka2, jaytex969