Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Found this really interesting. I tried it on a pipe, I had already dewaxed it, and lightly sanded past the shellac sealer. Let the rim sit in rum for a little bit(151 or high proof denatured alcohol would work better, more flamable), took 3 times and the dent was gone. It was a pipe wifey dropped, there was a 1mm deep and about 4mm long ding to it and was like now I got a pipe to try it on. Happy with the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdtsa4Sazvw
--------------------------

Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've successfully removed a lot of dings in pipes. I use an old butter knife, a wet piece of cotton cloth and a propane torch to heat the rounded tip of the knife. Fresh dents pop out a lot easier than ones that have been in the briar for a long time.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Hmm, interesting... If I were to be sanding and restraining a pipe this may be a good trick to try. Thanks for the info

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
That Beatle wig sold for $10 back in '64. Probably priceless now.
Has to be a Beatle, 'cause Moe Howard never licensed a wig.
(Obviously, this man is somebody's friend and grandfather, so I don't want to be mean. But... just damn!)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Gents, can I get away with a wet tea-towel folded double and a hot iron?
That's the way I do it most of the time. In some areas that you can't get to with the iron using Al's hot knife trick would be better.

If the bowl has a bunch of dings wrapping it in a hot,wet cloth and letting it set for a few hours can help.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks Ed. I'll give it a go. I have a treasured pipe which hit the deck after being chucked by my buffing wheel. I, clearly, need a firmer grip.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just heat the last 1/2" to 3/4" of the knife tip. I used a folded piece of cloth (usually doubled over) about 3"x3" in size. The knife tip does allow me to pinpoint a specific spot on the pipe. Too large a cloth makes it difficult to locate the ding. I get the cloth sopping wet, then wring it out so it's wet but doesn't drip/run.
The heat does pull a little color out of the briar, but that is restored when buffed with white diamond and then carnuba wax. You definitely don't want to scorch the briar, only generate steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.