Removing A Cigarette Burn Mark

(25 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by mikethompson
  • Latest reply from mikethompson
  1. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi guys, I'm looking to fix up a nice little Dunhill I picked up a while ago. In a previous thread I menti8med I feared this was a burn out in progress, but was assured that this was a cigarette burn, I guess someone placed a lit one too close to the bowl?

Anyway, is there a way to remove the burn without re-doing the whole pipe? I thought I would ask first but I'm guessing that the entire bowl needs to be refinished.

Thanks experts!

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

IMO it’s time for a complete refurbish, someone who works with stain on a daily basis, has a ton of experience AND is actually good at it could make it presentable. It would be easier,faster and look a lot better to strip and refinish the whole thing.

Posted 6 months ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, how long would you have to hold a cigarette next top the bowl to get it to burn like that? I mean, carpet and shirts is one thing, but that would have to be one hot cig left resting on the bowl to do that. One of the qualities of briar that makes it great for smoking is that it doesn't burn easily.
    It looks more like someone laid down their blowtorch carelessly next to their pipe.

Michael
    Posted 6 months ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I imagine it happened in an ashtray. Either the piper was careless, or the ciggie smoker or both. Ugh. Too bad it happened.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, I have a briar ashtray that I set my cigars down in, and it has never burned the briar. Do you really think a cigarette could do that? I'm just thinking that even after smoking one bowl in my pipes, the inside of the pipe isn't charred, especially not that much. It always cakes over, before charring. I just find it hard to believe that a little cigarette could do that, even if it set on there all day.

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You could be right. I'll not run the experiment though.

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've found that these type of burns go deeper than you think. You can try sanding lightly on the spot and see if any comes off. But then you're pretty much committed to refinishing the whole pipe. The easy way would be to try to sand the spot and the area around it trying not to change the shape of the bowl, and then re-stain the pipe a darker color to hide it. Also check on Reborn Pipes website to see what info they might be able to furnish. Good luck!

Example of a Savinelli with burns I redid:

Here is the end result, I had to take off quite a bit of briar but at least it had plenty to spare:

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 6 months ago #
  8. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I doubt the story, no offense to you, but as mentioned above, that could go much deeper than you think. I would trust a professional.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

This is only speculation, but the shape of the burn suggests something more like an electric stove-top burner than a cigarette.

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it still smooth? It looks in the picture to be almost indented. I hope not.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

No offense taken at all, the story wasn't mine. I bought the pipe this way for a very reasonable price. The seller was NOT a pipe guy. The story of the cig burn was from my other thread that's all.

Looks like a complete redo is in order, as I originally thought.

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What shape is that pipe?

Doc

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zulu?

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or Dublin. Either's copacetic with me since I like them both because they're so similar.

I'll not run the experiment though.

Oh, come on, John, wouldn't you like a new hobby?

B

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you really think a cigarette could do that?

Yes. Quite easily, in fact. Cigarettes used to have chemicals added to keep them lit. When a briar bowl leaned on top of one in an ashtray, a blackish mark/stripe was the result.

If the OP's pipe was burned in that way, the darkening goes a lot deeper than a refinish will fix.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 6 months ago #
  16. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I think the spot gives it character! I'd be more worried about you setting it on the concrete!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 6 months ago #
  17. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've seen a burn from a cigarette in an ashtray more than once, not hard to believe at all. Look how easily a rim can get scorched from lighting

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

if the OP's pipe was burned in that way, the darkening goes a lot deeper than a refinish will fix.

Well if George says a refinish won't erase it I guess I have to live with it.

I'd be more worried about you setting it on the concrete!

Just balancing to get some good light for the photos. I removed it before a bonsai sprouted from the bowl.

I guess there is no way to minimize it without removing finish. I will try to clean it up the best I can and eventually try to polish it up some. It is in such great shape aside from that mark.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. Good to know about cigarettes. I wouldn’t have wearied setting my pipe in an ashtray. Now, I’ll be more diligent about smoking around cigaretters.

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

You should be weary of them cigaretters anyways! Hahaha

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

IMO it’s time for a complete refurbish, someone who works with stain on a daily basis, has a ton of experience AND is actually good at it could make it presentable. It would be easier,faster and look a lot better to strip and refinish the whole thing.

All correct, and as others have chimed in. Those marks run pretty deep and to truly get it out completely, you almost always have to change the shape of the bowl Perhaps you could compromise with getting most of it out, then using a dark stain to disguise the disfigurement.

Al

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well a good clean and wax, then I will live with it.

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, if you like the shape just deal with it. As long as it isn't a burnout waiting to happen, there is no reason to worry about the mark.

Posted 6 months ago #
  24. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or you could find a small gold or silver piece to glue over the spot and say it's a special edition Dunhill!

Posted 6 months ago #
  25. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, if you like the shape just deal with it. As long as it isn't a burnout waiting to happen, there is no reason to worry about the mark.

The inside of the bowl looks fine. As far as I can tell it is only cosmetic.

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, mikethompson, kylef, tbradsim1, eddiegrob, morgansteele