PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I've been contemplating how to remove those ugly warning labels that some tins come with and will likely be showing up more in the U.S soon. My original idea was to use steam to heat up and soften the adhesive on the labels. But this might work as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOxXvXHUHDs

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
There is more warning label over here than actual product information.
Wiz

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I really wish all manufacturers would follow the path of Samual Gawith with this warning label crap. Over here it is utterly absurd so good old Sam has gotten around it by putting unmarked tins free from patronising pish in a box that has all that legal lunacy all over it. This way I get a beautiful tin and no sticker removal headache which always makes me furious.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I agree. It's time to fight back against the morally pretentious self-righteous crusade against a habit that, for whatever its minimal harms, brings joy to many, which is why these joyless and controlling people hate it.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
C&D used to have their labels on their site. Simply print and glue them on the tin. Not sure if this is still available.
I mentioned this to some vendor once. The response was they have a graphic design cost to produce the required labels. If they also wanted a graphic to cover the entire tin, that would at least double their cost. I can see that point.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Even better, name the blend after the warning text. "This delightful-smelling stuff? I'm smoking Warning: Cigarette Smoking Causes Serial Killing. It's a chocolate flake with light notes of whisky and fruit."

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
:rofl:
Unfortunately, the FDA saw that one coming and are now killing new blends before they're even made. :roll:
Well, maybe in Canada we can have a tin of Smoking Harms the Environment, or My Mixture Carbon Footprint. :puffy:

I, for one, am embrassing the labels. Cafepress can print me tshirts, bumper stickers, mugs, placemats... just a simple pic of the faces with cancer, tar filled lungs, big warnings, and wear them with pride, like heavy metal skulls and biker demons. I can sport the dire warnings with pride. Put them everywhere. Slap a sticker on an Audi, or the Porshe parked in the WalMart parking lot. People will come to love the stickers. Give them to kids to put on their lockers at school. It can be a great way to bond in the passion for smoking. Don’t fight it, embrace it, and use it as a rallying flag. The English called us Yankees, and we gave them Yankee Doodle. The Yanks called us Rebs, and we gave them a Rebel Yell. All great banners came from turning the propaganda against us as a badge of honor. Use it. Love it. I especially want to use the bent cigarette erectile ad on the front of a pair of Speedos, to show them all at the beach how “hard” it is to be a smoker these days. :puffy:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I WILL REFRAIN FROM POLITICAL COMMENT.....
Try smoking hams instead.
Or, if the labels are just stuck on, remember goo-gone or just Orange oil. I use that stuff in my modeling work. It will glue thin sections of styrene (is a safe solvent) and remove labels. Or flavor your cereal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Gawaith solution is brilliant. Customers can cut out handsome pics from magazines to paste over the cries of doom. There's the jarring routine that obviates the whole problem. I like the tins with art and often keep the tobacco in them, but now I have a reason to do the right thing and jar it.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
There's the jarring routine that obviates the whole problem. I like the tins with art and often keep the tobacco in them, but now I have a reason to do the right thing and jar it.
No, it doesn't. Not really. I can't take a jar to the pub with me and I don't like tobacco pouches because my flakes get all knackered.
My current solution is to put some flakes of whatever blend I am taking out with me in one of my unmarred Sam Gawith tins but even this irritates me because I have the wrong tobacco in the wrong tin. This may seem trivial and it is until someone in the pub picks up my tin and says "Ooooh Cabbies Mixture, smells lovely" To which I reply "No actually, it's Dark Flake. This then leads to the same damn conversation I just had with chatty Cathy or doubtfull Dave five minutes earlier.
When they pick up the tin in the first place I should just smile and nod but that always feels dishonest.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve seen someone use zippo lighter fluid to remove them too. I tried it out and it works good but I would prefer to use Goo Gone.
I really wish all manufacturers would follow the path of Samual Gawith with this warning label crap. Over here it is utterly absurd so good old Sam has gotten around it by putting unmarked tins free from patronising pish in a box that has all that legal lunacy all over it. This way I get a beautiful tin and no sticker removal headache which always makes me furious.

I saw those! That is a really cool way of getting around the bs! Just toss the box and you’re good to go! Now I just wish they would fix the Cabbies Mixture tin as it looks like they intended to have a large space for a picture of somebody with missing toes or someone coughing up a lung.

Jan 8, 2013
I might try the Goon Gone method as it's easily available. I just want to be sure I'm only removing the photos of smoking zombies and crusty hearts and lungs, and not the awesome labels beneath them.

Status
Not open for further replies.