PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I'm getting a calabash tomorrow with a stem that's oxidized a bit. I don't have any advanced tools or sandpaper to remove oxidation. I plan to soak it in the Oxi Clean and then use a Mr Magic Eraser. I might also polish with olive oil. I read various forums and articles that say you should soak the stem in "oxyclean." Do they mean the stain remover? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291545059778
That question is why I started this topic.

rh66

Lurker
Jul 8, 2015
I always used the powdered oxyclean but I would think that may work as well. I also used the magic eraser but with limited success. Before I got micromesh I brought really fine wet/dry sandpaper from Wally World and used that. Took a fair amount of time but had good results

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Before you do something with oxiclean, I'd try just regular old toothpaste! I've had fairly good results with this approach. Toothpaste has some pretty gritty microscopic modules that can do a pretty good job of brushing off the yellow stuff.
Hope this works if you try it.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Bar keepers works but isn't exactly mouth safe. Although one could argue neither is red trip or white diamond buffing compounds.
Good to see you Lou!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
An investment in 600, 800, 1000, 1500 grit sandpapers and a 3200-12000 grit micro mesh set will pay tremendous dividends in terms of clean stems.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks everyone. I've heard of the toothpaste method. Maybe I'll just soak it in warm water for a minute or two, scrub using Mr Magic Eraser with toothpaste on the sponge. I hear sandpaper can scratch and damage the stem, so I'm just going to avoid that, since I am clumsy with sandpaper and tools in general.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've tried just about everything at this point, and there is no substitute for wet/dry sandpaper, micromesh pads and white diamond buffing compound. Whatever you end up using, you will need a lot of patience if the oxidation is deep.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I don't think it's that deep. I may be a rotting corpse, but I don't like putting something in my mouth if I know it's been put in other persons' mouths unless it's been well sanitized. If it's too much of a pain, I'll sacrifice one of my briar's lucite stems and shave them down to fit. Vulcanite is so demanding of attention...
$_57.JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A soak in Oxyclean or the like only loosens the top surface coat of oxidation. You then need something abrasive to remove the oxidation. Oil only covers up oxidation for a short period.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've had some success with Oxyclean and the scouring side of one of those kitchen sponges that has the small wiry plasticy side to it. Is this comparable to any particular grit or other type of cleaner?

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I'm confused what "OxYclean" is though? Is it the liquid OxIclean stain remover for laundry or something else? I have liquid Oxiclean.
This is why I only buy pipes with acrylic stems

It's really difficult finding a calabash with a lucite stem.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've had some success with Oxyclean and the scouring side of one of those kitchen sponges that has the small wiry plasticy side to it. Is this comparable to any particular grit or other type of cleaner?
POSTED 6 HOURS AGO #

rottingcorpse
I'm confused what "OxYclean" is though? Is it the liquid OxIclean stain remover for laundry or something else? I have liquid Oxiclean.
The OxyClean I referred to is the laundry product. And the scouring pad I asked a question about is a standard type found in grocery stores not far from the cleaner!

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I think a pad would work. Add some toothpaste to it though.
I just finished restoring the pipe. It was already fairly clean, so it didn't need a lot of cleaning. The only stem was the only thing that took awhile to clean. I used 2 Magic Eraser sponges with toothpaste, and it got rid of almost all the oxidation. When I was finished, I was left with a matte black and polished with obsidian oil. I think I'll light up a bowl tonight. Thanks for everyone who helped me out on this topic and others. I really appreciate it.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
With a magic eraser you can remove oxidation (it is, if I remember correctly, roughly the equivalent of 1500 grit sandpaper or 4000 grit micromesh), but will leave you with a matte black finish. To get a shine, you need to use progressively finer abrasives. But, pipes with matte black stems smoke just fine. About half of my older pipes have matte black stems. Never got around to doing more than removing the oxidation with a magic eraser. Congrats on the new pipe. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.