PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
My new Pete 999 Dracula (blasted) is in, and I've been pondering over how to go about actually breaking it in. This is my first time breaking in a brand new Pete. Inside the bowl, there is some kind of pre-carb, and I have read that Peterson dip-stains their pipes... meaning there is likely some black stain underneath the pre-carb.
Should I go about trying to remove some of this stuff to get down to the briar? If so, what are your recommendations? I was thinking of trying alcohol on q-tips. On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't worry about it and just start smoking Prince Albert in it until it succumbs into a good smoking pipe. Then it'll be ready for that new C&D Halloween Monster Mixture tin that I have.
As an aside, I took a pretty thorough look at the engineering of this Dracula, and I have to say that Peterson seems to have done a good job on this one. Draft hole is bottom center, not too high or low, shank and stem seem fairly well drilled.
Anyway, thoughts/opinions? Thanks everyone!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Don't go out of your way to make owning a pipe complicated. You are ging to be advised of many different ways smokers do or do not break in a pipe. I would load it a third or so the first few times and smoke it. I care not a whit what is inside the bowl as long as it isn't too toxic.
Pick a method of break-in or ignore it completely and just get on with enjoying your new acquisition. Some of the members turn the pipe into rocket science. Some of us just enjoy the pipe in a simpler manner. Your choice, pick a method and get on with it. Your Peterson awaits!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Personally I would not attempt to remove the bowl coating. I would just smoke it as it came. I do run a pipe cleaner with alcohol (I use Bacardi 151) through the shank on all new pipes as Mike suggests.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Their pipes seem easier to break in than in years past with the coating. I used to use sand paper to gentry remove the coating but be careful with the rim. However, all of the Peterson's I have picked up over the last few years broke in just fine with it intact.
Like others have said, get some bristled cleaners and strong alcohol and scrub out the shank really well. A shank brush would help speed the process a long. You will find a lot of the dye in the shank. It will need it but should not take long, 15-20 minutes or so. I use denatured alcohol which you can pick up at any hardware store. I use it for regular cleaning and a quart will last 1.5 years or so. Just make sure to let the pipe dry out over night.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
+1 Bradley and the rest - leave the bowl alone, and enjoy it!
If you ever get one with actual stain inside the the bowl, you'll know it immediately. At that point, put a cotton ball inside the bowl and soak it with Everclear, let it stand until the color has bled out, repeat if necessary. (Out of all of my Petersons I've only had one that I needed to do this to).

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have read that Peterson dip-stains their pipes
This was true years ago and not a good practice at all.
Managing Dir, Tom Palmer stated in an interview some years back that they were going to phase out that practice. From my own experience, they have indeed stopped, so I'd say you're good to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have six (I think it is) Petersons all bought new, all with coated bowls. I've never had a problem with it.

They fire up and smoke nicely from the start. One Kapet (author) took a little time to settle down, but it

does fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.