PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Today in the UK, Canada and the rest of the Commonwealth we remember those that have died in the two World Wars and all the other wars since by wearing the Poppy.

I have been and will until the 11th November wear the Canadian and British poppy pins and donate to the various veterans charities such as the Royal British and Canadian Legions.
canadian-poppy-small_1189_618469577c7d5bfl-513x600.jpg

_1.jpg

For the first time the Republic of Ireland was represented by the ambassador for those volunteers who, against Irish popular opinion, decided to fight with the British in both wars. It was touching to see all the multitude of Commonwealth nations represented in London from the large to the tiny Island nations from the Pacific and Caribbean represented as they are easily forgotten.
I am not one for thoughtless jingoism but remembering those who have fought for our freedom should always be thanked and remembered, as well as those who have fought in perhaps the less popular wars of the latter 20th and 21st century. Today is a time to put away political differences and give thanks.
I know in the US the poppy isn't worn today, but I know it is Veterans Day too and I think it's perhaps a good occasion for us all to quietly and thoughtfully smoke a pipe tonight and use it as time to reflect on all that sacrifice and hope we can avoid more.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I have both of those pins as well. Got the top one from Vimy Ridge and the bottom one from Ypres when I was there last October. I am also parading with the Calgary Highlanders thus Wednesday as I am also in the forces reserves. Needless to say that remembrance day is important to me.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very nice pins for sure. I don't have either but proudly wear a poppy to show my support and gratitude. :puffy:
Isn't Remembrance Day on November 11 here in Canada?

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Yes, sorry. Indeed today is Remembrance Sunday, and Remembrance Day is the 11th.
Couldn't edit the title after I posted...
UK doesn't get a holiday like in Canada so the Sunday is the main ceremony.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A salute to all my fellow vets. I was enlisted in the USN 1968-72.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
There's an inspiring tradition in development in my home state of Iowa, that might be worth the telling here.
On Highway 25 south of Greenfield there stands a 56 ton, 12-foot-high boulder that for decades has been a canvas for all manner of graffiti, obscenity, and innuendo. That was until 1999, when a local boy was driving past on Memorial Day (or thereabouts), and found the inspiration to use that canvas differently--as an enduring tribute to America's veterans. He covered the whole rock white, and painted one of the most iconic images of all time on to its surface--the flag-raising at Iwo Jima.
image.jpg

And now for seventeen years he has continued to go out every May and re-dedicate the monument with a fresh mural.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Inspired by the response, he and his supporters have now come together to do one better--they're putting up a smaller Freedom Rock in every single one of Iowa's 99 counties.
1436283083.jpg

The Freedom Rock in Kossuth County. Most of my family who served have their names at the memorial in this town, and nearby sits a stone bench with the names of my father's brothers and sisters, in dedication to the memory of my Grandfather, and all who have served.
Thank You!

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
image.jpg

The images are posting rather small, but if you're interested to see the rest of the murals in a larger size, you can find them here:
http://www.thefreedomrock.com

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't know if there are many Americans under age 50 who understand the what the poppy means.
For those wishing to know what the significance of the poppy read "In Flanders Fields" by Lt. Col. John McRae (deceased)
Lest we forget.
PS: Even if you do understand this is a good time to read and reread the poem.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.
Haunting, indeed. Thank you, Warren.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Even more haunting is the Colonel's story and the history of the poem.
My mother purchased a poppy for each of her sons every year until they were no longer sold. It was bestowed with a wee, serious talk about the significance of the flower. We wore them proudly and with reverence.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Sadly and unfortunately, we never honored Armistice Day in the U.S. like it should've been honored when I was a child back in the 60's. By that time, thanks to a U.S. congressman from Emporia, KS, it had become Veteran's Day where all veteran's are remembered.
At our Veteran's Day parade in Topeka, KS yesterday, we had an M-1 Abrams tear hell out of the asphalt on Topeka Blvd. and thank you, Big Red One at near by Fort Riley, it was well worth it.
But, this Wednesday morning, at the 11th minute of the 11th hour, I'll be saying prayers for my grandfathers and their fellow warriors.
To all of you British and Canadian posters, I'm sorry we were late to the dance. That mess could've/should've ended 12 to 18 months sooner - perhaps even years - with a stronger U.S. administration promoting intervention. And we screwed the pooch. (We really tried to do things better with FDR a few years later.)
Also, a much overdue thank you to the late Barbara Tuchman and the aging gracefully Lyn Macdonald for educating me about the war to end all wars.
Fnord

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My annual trek to our little country cemetery on a little hill honoring the Soldier wo in 48 came home. I was 5 then, first time I saw my Grandfather cry, first time I heard the volley of rilles. Everybody who had a hand in keeping our Country safe THANK YOU.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The grapeshot and musket, the canons lumber loud

There's many a mangled body the blanket for the shroud

There's many a mangled body left on the field alone

I am a rebel soldier and far from my home
1hrm8.jpg

Some pups didn't get the chance to grow up to be hounds

Here's to you Riley!

Status
Not open for further replies.