PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
IwoJimaMemorial.jpg

Since this is Memorial Day Weekend, I thought everyone might wish to honor those who have given their lives in defense of our Freedom.
This photo is of four great Americans, and worthy of honor.

IraHHayesJohnHBradleyJohnWayneReneA.jpg

They are from left to right:

Ira H. Hayes, John H. Bradley, John Wayne, Rene A. Gagnon
While John Wayne didn't actually serve in the military, he repeatedly tried to enlist. His familial circumstances and his age kept him out of service during WWII. Never-the-less when speaking about the part of "Sergeant John Stryker" he said that he wasn't playing John Wayne... he was Stryker. He accepted the role in the film "Sands of Iwo Jima" even though he didn’t want the part at first. He was personally asked to play the part by the “Commandant of the Marine Corps”. When he learned the reason the movie had been written John Wayne accepted. In doing so the Hollywood Hero saved the Marine Corps from being disbanded by Congress for being unnecessary.
Three of the six that were depicted in Joe Rosenthal’s famous photo and immortalized in the bronze of the Iwo Jima Memorial; Mike Strank (Pennsylvania), Harlon Block (Texas), Franklin Sousley (Kentucky) died in combat.
The three that returned home are pictured with Sergeant Stryker above, and can be seen in “Sands of Iwo Jima” along with the actual flag raised on Mt. Suribachi.
Ira H. Hayes, a Pima Indian, upon hearing of the air-raid on Pearl Harbor joined the Marine Corps because he felt it was his duty to defend his country. After basic training he was accepted into parachute training and was nicknamed "Chief Falling Cloud" by his buddies. He was one of forty Marines assigned to summit Mt. Suribachi and one of the six to stake Old Glory atop that dearly purchased hill. Ira Hayes detested being exploited to raise money for War Bonds. He had difficulty dealing with living when so many did not. He drowned in a ditch, broke and drunk. He was 32. (http://phoenix.about.com/cs/famous/a/irahayes01.htm)
John H. Bradley (Pharmacist's Mate Second Class) served as the Navy Corpsman assigned to E Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th Marine Regiment, 5th Marine Division. To all Marines, Navy Corpsmen are the most respected members of the Navy. The father of eight children refused to talk about his experiences during WWII, and when he was called a hero he would say that "the real heroes were the men who didn't come back". (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6009)
Rene A. Gagnon like Bradley and Hayes had his demons as well. He once said that: "Being a hero was a blessing and a curse." Ironically he was fired from one job on Memorial Day, he had been drinking.
Today Doctors might say these American Combat Veterans suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, and they probably did. Some wounds will just never heal and remain with them throughout their lives. Just because a Veteran of combat wasn't killed in action defending our country doesn't mean he hasn't given his life. One might say the lucky ones never came home.
I for one will celebrate Memorial Day. I will probably Bar-B-Que and have a couple of beers, just like millions of other Americans. I will remember why I can Bar-B-Que, and have that beer. I will watch "Sands of Iwo Jima. I will remember why I can write things like this and, I will remember those that gave their lives so I could.
Six Boys and Thirteen Hands

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My late Dad was a tailgunner on the B17 missions based in England. Memorial Day has always been honored here!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I always enjoy the holidays -- joyous, festive times. Memorial Day is the one exception.

I celebrate, but not in a happy way. Rather, with gratitude, and wistfully.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Phil, thank you for reminding me that those to be honored aren't only those that fought for us in this century and the last, but we must also remember those that came before.
While there were sailors and soldiers on my mother's side of the family going back as far as the Civil War, on my father's side they were all Marines.

Proudly displayed on a wall in my "Man Cave" is a Marine Corps Recruiting Service poster that has been passed down father to son to me from around 1850. I have always been proud to be a fifth generation Marine. I thought I might share it with everyone.

Just for a dose of reality: A Private with 30 years in-grade earned $22 a month.
DSC00219.jpg

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
When one of my son-in-laws returned from duty with the Pacific Seabee's during the first Gulf War, the city closed the airport at Oxnard, Ca. to welcome the boys home. As I entered the gate, there was an old man setting at a card table with a sign that said, "All veterans report here." I walked over and he asked me what branch, from when to when and if I was a Viet Nam vet. He wrote all the info down on a sticker like they use for The Price Is Right TV show and then handed it to me to stick on my shirt. I started not to because of the way we were welcomed home. I didn't want to start any "stuff" you see. I changed my mind. As I was walking around, an old man on an adult tricycle with a purple hooch with gold metalic braid on the back rode up to me, squinted through coke bottle bottomed glasses and read my sticker. He stuck his hand out to shake mine and said, "Welcome home son." I thought, "Where have you been for 21 years. I'll pinch your head off, shxx it down your neck and tie it in a knot so you can't spit it out."

Then it dawned on me. This was the first stranger to ever welcome me home. It began to rain behind my sun glasses.
As he rode away a moment later, the sign on the back of that purple hooch said:

CHINA, BURMA, INDIA. 1938, 1945. Below it was a replice of the Silver Star ribbon. This MAN was one of Merrills Marauders. 1200 MEN went in, 238 returned. The Greatest Generation indeed.
Every year about this time, those bright blue eyes behind those thick glasses, still so full of life, that wrinkled old face, the craggy outstreched hand, the firm handshake, come back to me and I hope and pray he is somewhere warm and comfortable with soft winds and no war.
May which ever God you worshiped, give all who gave the supreme sacrifice, give you the rest you so richly deserve. For those still living who served my country and are still serving, THANK YOU.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks to all those who have served and their families. My uncle was a full Colonel in the Air Force and I was honored to attend his funeral at Arlington Memorial in Washington DC. I was one of the most moving experiences in my life. It was w/ full honors w/ a horse drawn carriage etc. I felt honored to among those heros and will never forget it.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
A few of you know that I lost a good friend two weeks ago today. He was a proud man that served his country and fellow man well. He was a member of one of the first Special Forces teams to be in Vietnam. He was there before the general public knew about Vietnam. Terry Lambacher squeezed every ounce of life he could out of his 67 years here on this earth... I couldn’t match him if I lived to be 150. I’ve attached an article written about him back in 2009 by a Cleveland reporter that meet and spent sometime with Terry in Vietnam. About 50 of Terry’s closest friends and family celebrated his life a week ago yesterday at his beloved trout club where we spread his ashes in a stream. While many of us puffed on fine cigars and sipped scotch from flasks, the eulogy was delivered by the same reporter that wrote the attached article.
I highly recommend that you read the attachment and not for me the teary eyed guy typing this but because it’s an amazing story about a real life patriot… I was going to say hero, but my friend wouldn’t have approved.

http://www.clevelandmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=586CA122EB394032BD4AA3B686FF03D9&nm=Editorial&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=1578600D80804596A222593669321019&tier=4&id=D710C41AA32A4C28B182CCDE2C7CFFE1

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thank you everyone, its amazing how truly great Americans have lived and do live among us. And, we are the richer because they did and do.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
My father all three wars and 35 years in the marines . Me a navy man . flags are flyin today as they do everyday . Thanks to all the men .

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
My Grandmother… she didn’t serve in the military, but she work in a factory during WW II in support of our troops. She wore a metal brace from the bottom of her shoe to just below her knee for the remainder of her life due to an accident at work while manufacturing airplane parts.
To my knowledge she never complained and I can still remember her telling me “this was nothing... we lost a lot of boys during that war.”

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Rosie the Riveter might be a cliche' but what women of that generation did for this country cannot be understated.

Those Americans held this country together, while the world was falling apart.

Not only did they mind the home front they were the force that kept our troops supplied with the best food and equipment, they raised the children, tested and built the latest technologies, and wrote letters. That voice from home....
This reminds me of a quote from "Sands of Iwo Jima". Mary to Sergeant Stryker: "There are a lot harder ways to make a living than going to war."
Thank you John.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
These are some great and touching stories guys!
Chuck, sorry that you were so mistreated upon your return home. I really hate the way that the majority of the US people acted during that time, but I was just a young 'un at the time. That was the start of the downfall of the way that we act in this country. But enough of that for now. Welcome Home!
A Big Thank You to EVERYONE who has, is, or will be serving our country and sometimes giving the ultimate sacrifice!

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
To all vets and active service men and women

WELCOME HOME, BE CAREFULL, AND THANK YOY!

frankryan

Lurker
May 16, 2010
My Uncle Thomas Ryan was in the Navy during WWII and was lost at sea during the Battle of Guadalcanal. My father Francis Ryan served in the Army stateside during the Korean War. My Grandfather on my mom's side of the family served in WWII and was an assistant assigned to a WWII General in Europe. Thanks to all who served, serve or will serve this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.