PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Tongue burn has happened to us all. For me it is when I have had a little too much to drink, and anyone who knows me, knows that is rare. :) I tend to smoke too fast. My tongue feels like burned bacon the next morning. What's the best remedy? One thing I have used is Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste. Anyone else with a cure?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Warm salt water solution and Hydrogen Peroxide/water solution has worked for me in the past.
A warm cup of tea can take the edge off as well.
I've also heard that red wine works really well. I am thinking that the tannins in the wine might have something to do with it. I have had red wine while smoking a pipe and have never had tongue bite when I drink a little too much red wine.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I smoke a lot of VAs in cigarettes.
And while you're not likely to get a good scorching like you can with a pipe I've found that I get that sand paper tongue thing and actual bite right at the tip.
What works best for me is simply sucking on ice. I eat ice like a fiend anyway and at times drive my wife nuts with it. (I'm not anemic I checked). The added benefit is it seems to help to not just treat but even prevent. I suppose really anything cold would help. Just like running cold water on a scalded hand.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Not a cure, but an interesting observation - I do the opposite of you dunendain.
I tend to get tongue bite when I smoke during working hours and I am overwhelmed. I smoke too fast as I am trying to do everything else fast.
However, when I drink, I am usually relaxing and smoke slower, hence no tongue bite.
Whatever you do, don't drink a carbonated beverage after that. LOL.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
GL Pease on bite:
Tongue “bite” is a response to smoke with a higher pH (more alkaline) than the mouth and tongue are used to. Some tobaccos, notably burleys, contain a high percentage of nitrogenous compounds, and produce a more alkaline smoke. The dreaded “burley curse” often results. Tobacco producers will work to mitigate this by adding sugars to the casing sauces. Sugars, when burned, actually acidify the smoke, resulting in less “bite.” Virginia tobaccos are often blended with burleys to perform the same function.
Body chemistry also seems to play a significant role. The same tobaccos that will cause one person significant distress can be a source of bliss to another. And, our mouth's environmental factors change over time, and react to things like what we eat and what we drink. Unfortunately, it's not simple. I've never known a tobacco that "never bit" 100% of the people 100% of the time.
And, worse, we have to add the pipe into the equation. I've actually had pipes that would turn the most mild-mannered tobaccos into flamethower fuel. Tobaccos that are reliably comfortable for me have been rendered into pain-inducing tinder. Add differences in smoking technique, and the complexity of the system is magnified to the point of intractibility. But, it's not the sugar in Virginias that cause the bite.
I've tried to pay attention to this, and I think he's right.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I have found something wonderful. I read that aloe juice is good for burns from eating hot foods like melted cheese. I went to Walmart today, and bought 1 gallon for 5 bucks. Instant relief. Swish and swallow. I keep an aloe plant for kitchen burns. It makes sense.

Aloe juice has many healing properties for internal organs as well. Such as ulcers.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Considering I have few internal organs left, I think I am going to stick with aloe juice. Thanks for the info about your mother. Bless her.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
Good information here. That bit by cortezattic really clarified some stuff I sort of knew by experience, but never really thought about with respect to the chemistry of it. I know one thing, next time I'm in Wal-Mart I'm picking up some aloe juice!

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
I like the sound of the aloe juice idea also. Curious about the taste as well. Wonder if it might make a good mixer cause then I could drink it while smoking. That's an even better idea. It's like preventative maintenance.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
It mixes very well with a juice like cranberry. It has a very neutral taste. Not unpleasant, but not much flavor.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I had a pretty bad case of tongue burn for 2 days, and the aloe juice got rid of it quickly. You can also buy it in a health food store, but it would probably cost more.

jnkc

Lurker
Mar 2, 2010
The aloe juice seems right up my ally. To hell with the juice though; I'm buying several plants! Not sure what blend bit the hell out of my tongue, but something did. I'm not liking the aspect where tongue bite is an after effect. Some of the blends I have smoked so far seem to aggravate it and others do not. Even the inside of my upper lip is bit; I'm thinking I have smoked some too hot as well. I made the mistake of drinking some pop while smoking from the pipe. I was reintroduced to what a pain threshold is. Ok, back to drinking my coffee and eying tobaccos suspiciously. :D

jnkc

Lurker
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks Jonesing for the comment. Honey and I do not get along; it burns the throat going down and burns the stomach for a while. I think it's that old age thing creeping on me! Going to go out and buy a metal cane so I beat on the young whipper-snappers without breaking it. :D

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I have a huge aloe plant, and have always used it for kitchen burns. The other day when I dad tongue burn, I cut a wide leaf, and sliced it open, and rubbed it on my tongue. It worked great, but tasted pretty damn awful. I am being serious. I think I will stick with the juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.