PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
image16-305x600.jpg

Remembering my grandfather today! He smoked SWR.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So many vets to remember. My late wife's dad was with the infantry at the Battle of the Bulge. My living wife's

dad was a teenage Army cook in World War One, and was gassed in the trenches and never entirely recovered

his health, though he was a cheerful and well liked guy around his farm town in NE Missouri. My Uncle Dick

was at Tarawa, the first major amphibious landing in the Pacific, which was deadly on-the-job-training; he was

a landing craft officer and received the Bronze Star. My dad was a YMS (yard minesweeper) skipper in the

Philippines during WWII. I was a minesweeper radioman in the combat zone off the DMZ in Vietnam. Thank you

to all who did service in uniform.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
My uncle was killed in the Philippines. The island on which he was killed had been secured and the forces were heading out the next day. He was making a routine patrol and was ambushed. I only got to know him through my dad. He was really conflicted during the Vietnam War. Not wanting his only son to be killed but also wanting to be patriotic and support the country. My lottery number was 19. Out of 365 my odds were not good but thank god we got out before it made a difference. At 6'7" and really, really blonde I think my name would have been Bait.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
My grandfather passed before I was born, but he did leave his pipes to my father. I remember one little Dunhill which eventually became mine, but is long gone now. He owned a newspaper in suburban Chicago and I have seen many photos of him smoking his pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.