PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindreams

Lurker
Feb 21, 2017
On the average how many time do you relight your pipe? After drying my tobacco I do relight less but I'm curious to know what is considered normal and what is not, because from what I see (And I can very well be wrong) continuous relights kind of "burn" the tobacco out?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Sometimes never have to relight, sometimes I do it 4 times if I'm absent minded while smoking or get distracted. I honestly don't think its an issue unless you're literally relighting every few puffs. The first couple of puffs after a relight are not the most pleasant (especially near the bottom of a bowl), so I think we all try to avoid it, but if you get hung up about it, it takes away from the relaxation and enjoyment of the smoke.
Can I assume you're new to pipe smoking? I've been at it for 100 days now and I can tell you that you just have to be a bit patient...it will come to you. For now, just make a mental note of how loose or tight you're filling your pipe, the moisture of the tobacco, your tamping frequency and technique and your cadence. Eventually, all those things will fall into place and you'll have that "aha" moment. There's no going back after that.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Oh, for what its worth, heres what I found out about those criteria
Fill your pipe looser than you think you have to

Tamp more lightly than you think you have to

Smoke more slowly than you think you have to

smokindreams

Lurker
Feb 21, 2017
Yes I am very new to pipe smoking! Thank you for your suggestions, sometimes I relight 2-3x sometime I have relight every 3-5min! :roll:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And when smoke volume decreases, set your tamper on top of the ash, and let the weight of the tamper bring the ember back down to the tobacco.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Welcome to the forum :)
Now, make a note of what you're doing differently between the 2 relight smoke and the every 3 minute relight smoke

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
when smoke volume decreases, set your tamper on top of the ash, and let the weight of the tamper bring the ember back down to the tobacco.
What he said

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow what a video! Thank you!
Wow what a wonderful board
Very welcome. Many of us started smoking a pipe long before the internet, and it was all trial and error. I like to help get new smokers off to a good start. :puffy:

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Packing pressure is hard. I was packing way too loosely when I started out because everyone said that packing loose is the key.. Push it so that you can feel a light resistance!
I usually need to relight 2-3 times after the first half of the bowl.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Thank you pagan,
Indeed in 100 days, the difference is amazing, but I will tell you for a fact that had it not been for this forum (and especially your kindness and advice) I'd still be putting ice cubes on my tongue after smoking a bowl and wondering how it is that tobacco that is practically dripping with cherry syrup can irritate the tongue and taste so awful :)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
As many times as it takes to reach the bottom of the bowl. Relights are only an issue to me when I run out of matches.
The easiest way to ensure you light less is to smoke bone dry tobacco as fast as possible which seems to me to be more of a punishment than a reward for good technique.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Just smoked a small bowl of Bulls Eye Flake. 1.5 flakes, folded, stuffed. Smoked for an hour and it took 3 relights and a bit of tamping. No big deal.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Intentional or unintentional relights?
I don't always intend to smoke a bowl from start to finish, and most bowls will be set aside at some point - maybe for a couple of minutes, maybe a couple of hours, or maybe even till tomorrow. Sometimes I might only smoke for three or four minutes at a time, other times it might be a full bowl.
As to unintentional relights, it depends what I've done wrong and how badly. Was I not paying attention, did I pack it badly, or was the tobacco too wet? If it's attention, what the heck, it's supposed to be relaxing so who cares. If it's the pack, I'll fix it up with a tamp and a poke, and I'll probably get through the rest of the bowl unless I choose to let it dwindle. If it's simply too wet, I'll put the pipe aside and try again tomorrow. I may fire up another pipe in the meantime.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Too much. Unfortunately, I also smoke like a freight train as well. That part has been hard for me to remedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.