PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
So I am about 1 month into my pipe smoking adventure and I am really enjoying it. I have tried 2 tins 2 bulks and 2 otc's. None are exceptional but aa few are starting to grow on me. I feel like my taste buds are starting to aquire a taste for tobacco and I am starting to taste my pipe up to 8 hours since I last smoked and that makes me want to smoke it again. One thing I have been coming across that I have a question on. It seems like everytime I have to relight. The tobacco tastes like crap. I get an ashy nasty bitter taste for about a minute after every relight. After a few puffs it goes away and I get no flavor then the flavor slowly starts coming back. Is this normal?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I can’t say whether it’s normal or not as I’m rather new to this myself. The way you describe your experience, it seems to me that if it were that common fewer still of us would be smoking pipes so fervently. What I can say is that pipe smoking isn’t as simple as it seems. I’ve been smoking my pipes for about 6 months now and though it is becoming a more natural activity for me, I’m sure I have a long and enjoyable road ahead to get to the point of a seasoned piper.
I suggest you not worry about it for the time being and let your smoking skills evolve with experience.
Dot

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Im new to pipe smoking too, however before a relight I like to touch the white ash with a poker and dump it. This gets me down to the unsmoked part and makes it easier to light. I sometimes dont care for the taste of the bottom of a bowl so I often dump it as well.

Hey its for enjoyment so why do it if I dont enjoy it. I have learned that each of us do things just a little different and like different blends. Ive read about the PH of individuals being different. Some have a higher PH in the mouth while others are lower. This interacts with the PH of the tobacco one smokes, some types being higher than other types/blends. I still get tongue issues. Im not sure if its this PH thing or smoking to fast. I am trying to set the pipe down and keep the bowl as cool as I can. Also I try to keep moisture to a minimum thereby reducing the steam effect on the tongue. Just a few things I learning and trying to get a handle on.

Overall, I like it so much better than cigarettes or even cigars. Im sold on pipes!

Jan 8, 2013
In my experience, it is normal. I too stir the loose ash and dump it if the pipe goes out. Then I tamp lightly, and relight. Generally, there will still be a few harsh pulls before it gets back to being smooth and tasty.
My guess is it has to do with the cherry being rather large and hot right off the light, and it just needs a second to cool back to magic spot. I am sure one of these guys can break it down in more detail, but in the end, I think its normal.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"My guess is it has to do with the cherry being rather large and hot right off the light, and it just needs a second to cool back to magic spot. I am sure one of these guys can break it down in more detail, but in the end, I think its normal."
Agreed. But I'd suggest trying to smoke a bowl *without* dumping the ash midway through and seeing what your experience is like. I believe that the top layer ash works to help cool the smoke, much like keeping an inch of ash on the end of a burning cigar can help to cool the smoke.
Well, at least that's the story all of the books tell. . . :)
I never dump ash until the pipe is finished.
Bob

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
You might wanna play around with how tight or loose your draw is. When I first started out I felt like I could never get a good taste out of my tobacco. It was pretty much like eating from an ashtray. I started to get a bit discouraged until I began playing around with how I packed my bowl. I found that it worked best for me to pack a somewhat loose bowl, try it out, and tamp down to adjust the draw/burn so I don't have to relight until the near end. So far it's worked wonders!

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Interesting. I never get nasty taste when relighting. What are you using for flame? I'd recommend wooden matches, but be sure to let the sulfur burn off for a second before using. I never dump out my ashes (even with large pipes) as I subscribe to the same beliefs as rmbittner.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Just keep with it as smoking a pipe is a learning experience.

In the late 70's or early 80's I gave smoking a pipe a try and failed miserably at it as I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Anyway, and this is just my opinion from my limited experience, I would strongly suggest that when you re-lite to simply give a very light tamp (just the weight of the tamper), and NOT dump out any ash, or mess about with it in any way. Bottom line... I totally agree with what rmbittner said.

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
Thanks for the input. I have been lighting with a bic lighter. Mainly because I only smoke my pipe in the truck and matches would be too dangerous while driving. But that may be the problem. Need to find a time and place to smoke while im not commuting. The wife hates it and its still too cold and wet up here in the northwest to smoke outside. As for dumping the ash... I dont again because thats too much distraction while driving.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
It seems to me that your lighter is getting it too hot when you relight. You might try holding it back a little more. I prefer matches, but it is too dangerous to use them while driving and let's face it, just a bit of wind and they're useless. I have a butane torch lighter and I definitely have to be careful because of how hot the flame is. If I get it too close to light it for more than a second at a time, then it burns the tobacco too much.

Aug 14, 2012
If you keep the pipe evenly lit and it does not burn down one side there should not be an ashy taste. You will get a bitter taste after relighting. It may be reduced by the use of a pipecleaner, but will not taste as good as if it had not gone out. The best explanation I can find for the bad taste is this: the water in the tobacco is left when the tobacco is burnt. If the pipe remains lit much of that water is suspended in a mist (smoke). When the fire goes out the moisture condenses and wets the tobacco that is left . That water, or tobacco juice if you call it that, does not taste good.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I think that ashy flavor you're getting comes from either leaving the flame over your tobacco too long, or not giving the tobacco time to cool between relights. However, the first step to getting past that bad flavor and the need to relight in general is paying more attention to your packing and other initial prep work.
Like others have suggested, you should try packing the pipe a little looser than you think with less tobacco than you think as well. I would also suggest you pay more attention to your false light. Some folks don't think it matters, but a proper false light has always helped me get an even light and a cool smoke with minimal relights as well. I typically make sure that the entire top layer of tobacco has been fully scorched. I then give it several steady puffs, some light tamps to keep it leveled, then I let the pipe sit and cool for about 10 min. If I'm smoking in my truck, I go through this process in the house before I hop in. When I go back for the true light, I circle the flame 2 or 3 times making sure I don't leave the flame over the tobacco for too long; it's almost like I'm just tapping the tobacco with the flame while taking is strong, sturdy, and steady draws. I rarely have to relight after that. If I do relight, I let the pipe cool a bit before I do. And I won't dump my ash until I'm at least half way done. Like one gentleman said, the ash is your friend. Just a super light tamp after the relight and we're off and smoking again.
With a little practice and patience, soon you'll be able to sit your pipe down for nearly five minutes and come back to it; it'll still be smoking with a little coaxing from your tamper, or two of you fingers covering the bowl while you give it a few sturdy draws. This is just what works for me; it ain't gospel.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I'm with foggy. The initial moments of any relight are going to produce a foul taste, and there's not much to be done about it. I also found while not 100% effective, a pipe cleaner can be of benefit. In addition to foggy's findings, my own personal determination is that if you really want to avoid this, run a pipe cleaner through the pipe, and then run another one through and leave it in there for as long as it takes the pipe to fully cool. After that, I've noticed that that bitterness is almost non existent. Unfortunately, that means taking a break from the pipe for nearly twenty minutes.
Edit: I must admit to having skipped over samanden's last paragraph. Eventually, you'll come to a point when relights are few and far between. For me, they generally occur when I'm upset, displeased, annoyed, or anxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.