PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsimpsontw

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
Hello, I have been smoking pipes for about a year now, on and off. I was smoking cigarettes for a long time and just recently made the switch from cigarettes to smoking a pipe only. Nothing could have prepared me for the withdrawal even though I was smoking a pipe (and Dunhill Nightcap tobacco). Here's my question:
As a reward I bought myself a Savinelli Rolley pipe that was in my price range. Got it home and smoked it as slowly as I could, I am certainly not a fast smoker and know when to let my pipe rest if it gets too hot. But when I had finished I noticed that the varnish had started to bubble. I was so disappointed because I spent a lot on that pipe. I read on different sites that it is best to avoid heavily varnished pipes for this reason, so do you know any good pipes that aren't varnished?
This is my first post, so thanks everyone in advance!
Jonathan.

May 4, 2015
Hi, Jonathan! Can you post a photo of the bubbling that you're describing? As far as "reliable" I'd be hard pressed to name anything more reliable than Savinelli on a budget.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Smoke it again, and when the bowl is warm, you may be able to buff the bubble down with a soft cloth or T-shirt.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Although this is arguable, a Peterson is usually reliable. Watch out for highly glossed pipes, however. Given the number of them that bubble off, it's a wonder they continue to be made. I have yet to find a Peterson gray Churchwarden, a beautiful pipe, but sheds its coating on two tries.

On another note, it took me a couple of years to get the proper knack for smoking a pipe instead of cigarettes. Smoking a cigarette means drawing smoke right into the lungs; but pipe smoking is akin to an art--it has to be learned.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
With the release of Peterson's Saint Patrick's Day pipes this year, Peterson stated that they reformulated their glaze and bubbling should be a thing of the past.

May 4, 2015
I wouldn't describe anything Savinelli does as "heavily varnished" though, eh? Stained and polished, yeah, but Savinelli doesn't do highly glossed that I can think of? What would be bubbling?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My Rossi, made by Savinelli, had the same problem. After a couple smokes, it stopped bubbling, but it's starting to chip away. But then again I'm rough with my pipes. And even that, it's my favorite pipe, and my best smoker.
20170612_110329.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Take some acetone to that one didimau, and then wipe it down with a Savinelli cloth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one or two Sav's with glossy finishes and never had a problem with bubbling, nor any other troubles with finish. So I hope this is just an oddity. Most rusticated and blast and certainly unfinished pipes will be bubble proof.

May 4, 2015
Is contacting the retailer for an exchange an option? Seems like any retailer worth his salt would exchange this for you. Sounds like there was only one smoke through it so far, so it's obviously not like you're beating the thing up.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mr. Simpson- If the photo is already on a web page, simply Right click (or Control click for Mac) and copy the picture's address (that ends in .jpg) into the IMG box on reply form.
Or post the URL and I can derive the image address most likely.

jsimpsontw

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks Jpmcwjr, managed to find a picture online, of course this one is new and undamaged. Thanks everyone, the shop owner won't consider a replacement. He did offer me another one at less money (this is Taiwan for you). I have decided not to let it get me down,probably a mistake I made, but I'm getting the hang of it slowly!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Chasing was spot on. Remove it with acetone. If you want an easy way to shine it up without a buffer, try Halcyon wax. Rub on, hand buff off. Easy peasy.

jsimpsontw

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
Thank you everyone for your help. I managed to remove the bubbles and now will buy that was to make it shiny again. Cheers and happy pipe smoking!

May 4, 2015
Love happy endings. How does that shape smoke by the way? It looks to have a really oblong chamber. Does that tobacco seem to burn evenly?

Status
Not open for further replies.