PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I take steps to help ensure a cool, dry smoke - drying my tobacco, not packing it too tightly, and smoking at a slow and steady pace. Still, as is inevitable, I will have to relight my bowl sometimes. It's not so much the actual relighting that I have issue with, it's the flavor of the relit tobacco that I don't like. It's typically acrid, sour, charred tasting, etc. I find this an unwelcome disruption in my enjoyment of the bowl, especially when I'm in the 'zone' and the flavors of the tobacco are really coming through for me. I've most recently experienced this with Peterson's Irish Flake, Escudo Navy Rolls, and St. Bruno Flake. I use a standard Bic lighter. Would using wood matches have an effect of the flavor of relit tobacco taking into account the softer flame? Are there tobaccos that you actually like the flavor of being relit? Should I be dumping ash more frequently?

When I first got here, there were guys who posted that they loved giving the bowl and extra boost of fire to enhance flavor during the smoke.

I have several pipes that I can set down for ten minutes and return to a still burning bowl. If you keep at it, eventually you may not have to relight. Although some guys just give up and accept that relights are inevitable. But, for an average pipe, the key just might be to keep the pipe in your clench with a slow steady supply of moving air to keep it going. If you set it down occasionally, you might just need a better pipe or keep that lighter handy.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I didn't realize how much the pipe had to do with my having to relight. There are times when I don't have to relight at all and am able to smoke the bowl all the way down. I have to take note of which pipe and tobacco this happens with. Does a broken in pipe - one with a good carbon coating in the bowl, help to reduce instances of relighting? Typically it's with flakes that I have the issue having to relight. I know i have to work on my technique and preparation.

I am not exactly sure what the combo is. Two on my three Beckers and one of my four Castellos and one Savinelli will burn like that, but the Beckers and Castello would burn like that from the very first smoke. I think it is a matter of just getting the magic combination of things perfectly in balance. The Savinelli that burns like that is one of the cheaper Savs, and even my Autographs don't necessarily burn that great. And, none of my Dunhills do. But, I think this just may be blind luck. I am a firm believer in the skills of the driver over the car. Any car (or pipe) can be operated to maximize efficiency of said vehicle (pipe). IMO. But, it takes practice. Stick with it, and don't fret the relights. Some guys love that extra boost of flavor you get on the relight, but that may be dependent on what tobacco your smoking. Escudo is a finicky beast, but I have yet to get a bad flavor from it in any way, as long as I don't smoke it too hot.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I use a standard Bic lighter. Would using wood matches have an effect of the flavor of relit tobacco taking into account the softer flame?
Yes. This is one of the those thousand word scenario's. Click this for a great pictorial.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/experiment-match-vs-zippo-vs-bic-vs-old-boy-vs-torch

Every method of lighting your pipe has someone out there that detests it, which baffles the fudge out of me.

Just take you Bic lighter and hold it sideways at about half an inch above the bowl. Do not aim it down into the bowl, just above it, and use your breath to draw the heat down. You don"t even necessary have to draw the flame down. The heat is all you need.

This was something that all pipe guys would do, whether it was a match or lighter. You do not bring to heat too close, because you'll ruin your rim. It is also how many cigar guys light their sticks. Except of course those crack torch lighter people.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
bigpond, Thanks for the info and link. Now I think I'm developing LAD and want an old boy lighter.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Further to Cosmic's observations, there is no choice of lighting tools that cannot be used to good effect. All has to do with taking into account the temp. of the flame, and holding it far enough away from the rim, and keeping the duration as short as possible.
PipeandDrum- You may be over-torching on the relights. You want to just barely restart the cherry. Sometimes a layer of ash is beneficial. Good luck!

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
jpmcwjr, I think you are on to something as I do feel I over-torch as you put it. I'm going to be more vigilant about just teasing the cherry back alight and see if the outcome is different. Thanks.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@jpmcwjr, I'm currently smoking newminster superior navy flake and have had to relight it twice so far just teasing the flame from my bic across the ash, pulling it gently down to the cherry and it is working out well. This tobacco is deliciously sweet and so far the flavor from relights has been enjoyable. Hard to believe that this is a non aro but everything I've read so far says it's a straight Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.