Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Reiner Long Golden Flake

(13 posts)
  1. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a tin of LGF after reading reviews with a variety of impressions and as part of my search for a flake tobacco that suits my tastes. The manufacturer describes it as 'A very special blend of Golden Virginias, a little White Burley, and a touch of Perique to make things interesting'. Pressed into long flakes, sliced, then rolled in the tin in long strips.' The tin is a 100g 'paint can' with a pry-off metal lid and a plastic snap-on lid to use after opening. The flake is a long coil about 3/4" wide and is packed at just the right moisture level so as to be ready to smoke without the need for any drying. The tin aroma struck me as being that of cocoa, but does not become part of the smoking flavor. It can be packed easily as broken flake or rubbed out. I tried both methods, but prefer to rub out a small amount to line the bottom of the bowl to avoid an air space at the heel and then packed in broken flakes. Upon lighting the smoke is smooth and light. This is a one-match tobacco when packed well owing to the moisture level. I think that all tobaccos have an optimal combustion zone and LVF is no exception. The burley is not a primary actor on the stage, but does help with the even burning to almost no ash. The Perique is added as an added flavor component and this is where the right combustion zone comes in to play. When smoked slowly, LVF remains tame, light, cool, and consistent with the Perique in the background. If pushed a bit with a slightly hotter burn, the Perique comes forward. If burned too hot, the Va. will become harsh and the Perique much more noticeable. This is an excellent flake blend for sipping at just the preferred pace for the smoker.

Russ
    Smoking a pipe is true relaxation...everything else is too much like work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nice job, Coalsmoke, thanks for the review!

It's been more than 10 years since I smoked any of this LGF and I've got Reiner's Long Golden Flake on my list.

LGF is blended by the Master R.L. Will, who also blends Solani. LGF, as Coalsmoke says, is mild and to me, compares to Orlik Golden Sliced, but with a touch more Perique. I don't think there is any other pipe tobacco blend anywhere using higher quality tobaccos than LGF. With 91 reviews on TR, having held its 4 star/highly recommended rating since 2001, and this "Long Golden Flake'" being praised as being "as close as possible to the concept of the 'perfect tobacco'" by Celticpipe in his review on http://www.luxurytobaccoreviews.com, I think it's safe to say that LGF is a blend any lover of virginia leaf needs to try.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice review, just changed my "try this" on the list. Thanks

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reiner LGF, is one of my favorites! I agree with Roth, LGF is comparable with Orlik, but LGF to me has the sweetness cut a lot by the burley, and the perique is a lot more noticeable, as stated. I think of raisins and maybe even a bread or wheaty smell when I open the tin. Delicious!

I just wish it wasnt so expensive! But you can tell it's quality leaf and blending.

As a side note, I just learned that the "paintcan" tins do not seal as well as other tins, so beware if aging.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I just wish it wasn't so expensive! But you can tell it's quality leaf and blending.

Gray, I think part of that is psychological (it is for me, anyway). While certainly not inexpensive, it is a 100 gram can for $20. That breaks down to $10 for 50g, which is about average for many, if not most, premium blends, which LGF certainly is.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the review; there goes my TAD list...in a good way, I
    love the Solani Silver flake, so this one sounds like a sure bet

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have ten 100g tins of Reiner LGF in the cellar, but oddly, I have never tried any of it. I bought it purely on Flakemaster Harris' recommendation. Can't wait to try it, but I have too many tins open at the moment. Glad you like it though - that gives me hope.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the review coalsmoke.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Can't wait to try it, but I have too many tins open at the moment.

That's a non-problem; the longer you keep it in the cellar, the better it will be when you open a can.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

sid1

Login to Send PM

Agree with the above. I've been smoking lgf for about 9 years although I prefer to dry it a bit. This is one of the few blends I've found where the burley rounds out the virginia and perique quite nicely. It's an all day smoke for me with an occasional three nuns bowl.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

peck, I never recommended LGF, it is not on my master list. It is one flake I have smoked but am not crazy about. The white burley in it is off putting to my tastes for some reason. It is weird because I used to enjoy it years ago. It is definitely a quality flake and has many fans. I am sure it ages beautifully also.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, well then it was some other flakemaster that recommended it lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. drrock

drrock

Login to Send PM

Nice review - thanks!
    LGF is one of my favorites. It for me is one of those "island blends" - the kind you could pick if you only had to pick one blend.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mustanggt, revpipe, woodsroad, mcitinner1, seagullplayer, lestrout, griffonwing, cosmicfolklore, willc, pitchfork, tlag77, 4nogginsmike, carytobacco, huntertrw, ae1pt, wcannoy, tarheel1, jiminks, wyfbane, pylorns