PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayeux

Lurker
Jun 28, 2018
Hello friends,

I recently found a 10 year old 2oz tin of Haddo's Delight that accidentally ended up in a box at the bottom of my closet.

It had been opened and the tobacco inside was in a ziplock bag. Alas it was pretty dry. I rehydrated a few bowls by steaming with distilled water to good results.

I wondered... If I buy a new 8oz tin of Haddo's and mix it together with the dry tobacco will it absorb some of the moisture over time in a glass jar?

Any thoughts would be very welcomed! Thanks All!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Certainly wet tobacco and dry tobacco together for a few days will equalize out. But I'm not sure I'd do that in this case, without a few test examples first.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I have had good luck with using the bowl/damp towel trick. Put the tobacco on a bowl, lay a damp paper towel over the bowl and cover with a plate. A day or so and it should be fine.

bayeux

Lurker
Jun 28, 2018
Haha. Okay, yes. I'll do the bowl/damp towel trick. I'll mix it with a fresh tin. And I'll smoke it dry!

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I've had good luck re-hydrating tobacco. I've laid the tobacco out on a paper towel and sprayed w/ distilled water, then put it up in a sealed mason jar. Came out fine. Aged Haddo's is an incredibly good tobacco.
I read somewhere (some time ago) that many tobacco houses get their tobacco quite dry and re-hydrate it before blending. If this is the case I wonder if dehydrated tobacco is really second rate at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Really depends on one's definition of dehydrated! If truly so, yes, it will smoke better with a touch of moisture.
But I just opened an 11 year old bail top of Stokkebye's English Oriental and it weighs in at 65% HR, just perfect for a smoke.
And, yes, I've seen some tobacco shops spritz the two or three tobaccos they were making up as a blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.