PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I recently discovered a 10-year old tin of SPC Plum Pudding that the seal failed, and it it dry as a bone. Anyone have experience with rehydration of a crumble cake like PP?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would first try smoking a bowlful just as it is. Crumble cakes generally have something sweet added to them as a binder, and the burning sugars may generate enough moisture as you smoke it.
If that fails, then try loading a bowlful and exhaling your breath into the bowl -- but easy does it, because you can impart too much moisture fairly quickly.
Does your cake come apart in usable chunks, or does it become "mummy dust"?

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
It comes apart in usable chunks, but if rubbed it turns to dust pretty easily. I suppose I need to try some out and see how it acts.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Like Cortez said. I’ve had 30 year old Bengal slices, dry as a bone, but smoked beautifully with just my breath to hydrate plus the smoking itself. The key is to gravity feed the bowl and don’t rub it because it will turn to,powder.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have had some success re-humidifying with just a couple of rules.
Move all leaf into a plastic container to inspect. Then set the container inside a large zip lock.

I never let the leaf come into contact with anything other than the plastic container directly.

White bread works "Wonders" to get things moving in the right direction. I use slices for about 3-4 days. It should start to soften up enough so you can start to work it a little with your hands without it breaking apart.

Next step is either humidification beads or a damp paper towel in sitting next to the leaf, inside the bag. Never ever have the moisture too high, less is always better. 2-3 weeks is about the right amount of time to see what you have.
I try and stop short of the point of being fully re-humidified almost like letting meat rest. If you let the cells of the leaf slowly re-absorb the H2O over a long period, it always seems to turn out better.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
I have a $30 humidor off Amazon. It's large enough to hold a couple of tins of tobacco on one side of the divider, with either a wet paper towel, or a humidor specific hydrator puck (just wiping the inside of the cedar with a wet paper towel works too). I bought a cheap digital hygrometer to sit in it that lets me know when it gets right.
I RYO cigs, which is why I got the setup. I have an automatic rolling machine that works best with tobacco in the 20-25% range of moisture, however, they are horrible to smoke like that. I roll them dry, put them in the humidor, then the next day, they're of the appropriate humidity.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
For cigs, anywhere from 50-70% is fine, not real picky.
The automatic rolling machine clogs easily, and doesn’t fill the tubes completely when moist. I do have to be gentle with the dry ribbon as it will break apart and turn to dust if not careful. FWIW, my house is typically in the 25-30 range most of the year.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for the reply.
You in high desert- or at least in the SW? I live on the Coast, where recently it's been 85% outside in the morning. In house, it's under 50%.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd go with Cortez's advice, for starters anyway. Often when tobacco looks too dry, it smokes well. Or doesn't need much moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.