PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Gentlemen,
I am a discreet pipe smoker. Because of this I've only tried aromatics that taste/smell like mint, chocolate, cinnamon, etc. in hopes that the scent (room note + clothes scent) would be pleasant or undetectable to my non-smoking peers. Recently, due to "an abrupt absence of taste" (separate post) in my aromatics it's been recommended that I try non-aromatic blends (such as Frog Morton's Cellar or Dunhill Elizabethan mixture) which I have been curious about anyway.
First and foremost:

I'm wondering what the scent and flavor difference is like between aromatics and non-aromatics? Is it possible to be a discreet pipe smoker with non-aromatic blends or at the very least come away from the experience smelling pleasant?
On a secondary note:

Also, I've heard that there is a learning curve for appreciating non-aromatic blends - like a top tier blend might smell/taste like firewood or a burning tire to an inexperienced pipe smoker. Is this a myth? If not, are they all like that?

i8ball

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2014
it is gonna be different for sure the room-note and clothes smell. non aromatic blends can come off harsher to people, but then again i hate the room-note left from an aromatic which is why i am picky when i smoke them, cause there are nights i just crave a little. In the past i have heard that husbands with wife's that didn't like the smell on them would wear a pipe jacket and hat. the jacket and hat would not leave the smoke room most of the time and that would help with that side of the smell for the room-note you could try a air spray after you smoke if it is indoors, but to me that would just be killing part of me to hear that someone just wants to cover up a smell that i just love.

i started out as a discreet smoker but once everyone found out it seemed to make smoking my pipe more relaxing and enjoyable and surprisingly the people i thought would fuss over it didn't.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
People are probably gonna notice no matter what you smoke, so I say smoke what you want!

But, if you do want something with a good room note that has a good "real tobacco" base, I'd say try some Virginias, or even some "codger" blends.

There are some "light" aromatics out there as well with a good tobacco base, such as Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, and Mac Baren Mixture Flake.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
You could just spray yourself with "Fierce" or "Boots" afterwards to hide any trace of the deadly tobacco smell.
http://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us/p/fierce-cologne-272918
That's the crap the clerks in Abercrombie & Fitch spray all over the place to scare the old people away.

Status
Not open for further replies.