PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
If we allow them to get away with smoking bans what will be next? certain foods,sugar,or whatever they choose?.It's a slippery slope we're on when we allow them to start dictating our life styles.In this country people are suppose to be free to choose for them selves..My words..NO..They are the words of an editorial on a local tv station here in Carolina tonite..First time in a while I've heard someone in the media express this view..I hope it catches on.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Sundry pundits have been bloviating recently about how we are experiencing "a libertarian moment". I see bloody few signs of it.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Next ting you know they will be putting us,in factions.... Oh wait. Sorry, just got through reading the divergent series to lease SWMBO. :rofl:
It's actually kinda interesting if your into that kind of stuff.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Critics raise concerns about where the line will be drawn and wonder whether employers will also stop hiring other groups of Americans who raise medical costs like the obese or those who engage in risky, but legal, hobbies. And it’s not out of the question. Back in 1990, Athens, Ga., started a health screening program for potential employees and anyone who didn’t meet a certain cholesterol level was deemed ineligible for employment, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.
Smokers Need Not Apply: Government Hiring Bans

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
It's not just tobacco, or guns, or food products... it's everything. The problem with the state of things today is that someone else thinks they know what's best for YOU. It doesn't matter what common sense or even the majority says, but rather the "political correctness" of things that often dictates a path.
Another example of the same kind of "slippery slope" you speak of, is with taxes. A local government wants to propose a bond measure for something (schools, roads, fire, whatever) and the public votes it down. Well Jimeny Christmas, the guberment didn't get their way!!! They whine and complain and keep shoving it down the public's throat, saying "But this would only cost the tax payer an extra $3/year... yadda yadda yadda". So what do they do? They bring the same damn thing up for vote again and it gets shot down by the voters once more. They just won't take the hint that constituents know that if they agree to that $3, then next they'll want $10. Then $20.
Rant over. Sorry. lol

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Vacuum cleaners with 1600 watts or more will be next:
http://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/EU-Imposes-Ban-On-High-Powered-Vacuum-Cleaners.html

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Minnesota was the first state to ban indoor smoking in 1975. The trend has been creeping around the country ever since, regardless of who is in office.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Along with the legal precedent that everyone must purchase health insurance by force of law, comes the avalanche of precedent-setting issues that are already becoming the new normal...i.e., the idea that nearly every aspect of everyone's personal life is now a "public health issue".
Tobacco use is considered a "disorder" medically, and is listed as such in the medical record of many smokers. But smokers can take comfort in knowing that they are really not being singled out...they are just on the tip of the iceberg. In the years to come, the dominoes will fall rapidly. Everything will be weighed based on some risk assessment created by corporate/government beauracrats...everything you eat and drink, all of your activities and hobbies, even driving an automobile will eventually be illegal. Driverless, computer controlled cars are already here.
“In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of politics.’ All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia.” -- George Orwell

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here's another one: the FDA is considering banning telephone or written refills of certain medications they deem dangerous. Supposedly, this is because of prescription drug abuse. Now, because of a set of medical problems I have that cause me to live with daily chronic pain, I have to drive to the hospital or doctor to get monthly refills of these drugs when I'm least capable of making such trips, especially in the winter where traveling (as in Michigan) when the trip can be dangerous. The irony here is that someone in chronic pain is usually not physically up to making such trips on such a regular basis. And abusers will find a way of abusing medications regardless of any new regulations passed.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Municipalities, corporations, and various other "do-gooders" will ban smoking (despite that fact that tobacco, at least for the nonce, is a legal product) for the "public good," but they won't push for its illegalization outright. Why? Because they do not want to forgo the sacred tax revenue! How's that for hypocrisy?

Status
Not open for further replies.