PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Is the shank supposed to be penetrating the bowl? It passes a good 3/4 of the way through.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
As for the wooden shank that extends inside the bowl, while some cobbers remove them, I’ve always left them, and over time, have gotten used to them. The models with hardwood plugs are no problem, but other versions will become more prone to burnout if the inner shank is removed. Cobs with paper labels don’t have hardwood bottoms. But then, in 50 plus years smoking cobs, I’ve never had a burnout. And MM will replace any cob that burns out, that isn’t your fault.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Good question! Never noticed too much of that on my pipes although many are estates so it would make sense that they have gone away over time.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I leave mine in. I think it gives any extra moisture and ash a place to go, which is one of the things that makes them such a good smoke. But then, I have never smoked one with the protruding shank removed.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I'm really happy that I enjoy it as much as I do. To appease the wife, and restore some balance to the bank account, I stuck several of my new briars on the ebay. I was feeling rather grumpy about the whole situation until the cob arrived in the mail and I got to smoke it.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Make yourself even happier and add a forever stem to your cob. Dont go crazy. You can get a stem for not to much and then you will really love your cob! But even without it they are great pipes. Glad you tried one out. Many haPpy smokes

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Just got a new M&M 5th Ave. Diplomat. Has a nice tall bowl and deep chamber. Also has the hardwood plug in the bottom. It's a really nice cob, and my edge worth tastes great in it.

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
I have a $4 mm cob and when I got it I more or less thought it would be a throwaway but the more I've used it the more i like it...but what would be the point of putting a forever stem on it? I'm new...just wondering.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The forever stem eliminates the filter and improves the open draw you get from smoking the original stem without the filter. It will probably even out last the pipe and you can put it on the next MM you buy. They look cool, too.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I had a guy make me a stem awhile back for one of mine and I like it. My other one still has that wide-open draw and I smoke it just as often. I just pack a little tighter in that one.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
The thing many of you overlook or ignore is the fact that MM now ships every pipe they make with acrylic bits/stems. Which isn't saying anything against replacement bits/stems, simply stating fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.