PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I found this GBD 9438 on Ebay last week. It looked a little rough, but it was cheap and I thought I'd clean it up and resell it. The seller had some very good pictures (my "before" shots below), so I knew exactly what I was buying. It cleaned up pretty nicely and compliments my other 9438 and 9676 variant on a Rhodesian.
The stem took some effort to remove the tooth waves from the top of the stem and one tooth prick below. It's still a very tight fit for the tenon and mortise but I guess that is better than too loose.
The bowl was soaked in Everclear and salt, and absorbed quite a bit of tobacco stain. I suspect there may still be some ghosts to banish. I buffed it lightly with Tripoli, White Diamond and than some Carnuba. The dark finish is growing on me.
After finishing it, I decided it will remain and join my other GBD Rhodesians. I'm on the road the next two days, but it's packed in my pouch with some MM965 for ghost-banishing duty.
Before:

After:

My GBD Rhodesians, a 9676 Seventy-Six Colossus, 9438 Tapestry and the new 9438 Fantasy.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Great job Al!

That is an interesting pattern and colour on it.

I like it very much its a bit different then what you usually see.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
You did a great job!

Now come visit me and restore some I've purchased on eBay! :D

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Packed the pipe for a work trip to PA and smoked two bowls of King Eider in it today. It smokes very well, no gurgle, not picky about how it is packed and a great draw. With a little cake build-up, it should only get better. My windcap fits nicely in the beveled top as well. This one is a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.