PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlboromoro

Lurker
Jun 30, 2013
So as some of you know, I'm from Australia and new to pipe smoking. From listening to a few of the more recent shows, it seems that what has already happened in Australia is starting to happen in the States, namely heavy restrictions on tobacco products, high taxes and possibly plain packaging as we have here. I have to say the biggest hindrance is the plain packaging, because if your looking to buy a tin or pouch of pipe tobacco, there's really no way of knowing what its going to taste like, they can't describe the tobacco or anything on the package, all that's allowed is the brand and name of the blend on an olive green coloured package with a huge health warning showing a dead fetus or a cross sectioned brain or a gangrenous foot and so on.
While we in Australia have gotten used to this, how would those of you in the USA feel about similar restrictions being brought in and do you think it's likely that something like plain packaging will spread to your nation? I should add that things like buying tobacco online, getting samples, or even pipe shows are impossible here in Australia. The minimum amount of tobacco you buy is 20 grams, which costs about 20 dollars. It's ridiculously difficult to import tobacco, if not impossible. Even accessing this website is difficult. My ISP seems to have restricted it so I can only access it by my mobile (different provider) or by using a proxy! :(

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Marlboromoro -
1. In short, it is scary and infuriating ... and impossible to predict what will happen.
2. Site access - please send me an email with your ip address from your computer and I will see if I can help on accessing the site.
Go to the following url on your computer and it will tell you your ip address:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup
Then email me the info here:

email.gif

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
On another topic, now we know whom to ask if we need someone to send old-fashioned ransom notes. 8O
(I may be behind the times, but that typeface is new to me!)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
While we in Australia have gotten used to this, how would those of you in the USA feel about similar restrictions being brought in
marlboromoro: a good, serious question.
The steps being taken in NZ and Aus will likely be replicated here in the not too distant future. It sucks, but I for one have been anticipating it.
On another topic, now we know whom to ask if we need someone to send old-fashioned ransom notes.
:rofl:

marlboromoro

Lurker
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks Kevin, sending off that email now :D. numbersix, I guess anticipation is about the only thing one can do. As noted in one of the shows, there isn't much lobbying that can be done by private citizens to prevent anti-smoking legislation seeing as politicians don't lose votes by putting it through! Unfortunately it seems its up to the big money guzzling tobacco corporation to try and basically control their business, although they failed here in Australia as they challenged the plain packaging laws by stating that it was a violation of their trademarks. Didn't rub well with the High Court in the end.
The thing that is really irritating is the way the government basically legislates how you should behave and what you can or can't partake in, particularly when it's a personal choice. Yes we all know that tobacco consumption can cause serious illness, but as Bill Hicks said "Non-smokers die all the f*&!ing time. Surprise!" Anyways, I'm ranting. It's easy to see how marijuana users feel about their rights when in the not to distant future it could be pipe smokers growing tobacco illegally that makes the headlines!
P.S. laughing my ass off jb :D

Status
Not open for further replies.