PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
So I have this Well Bent pipe, bought it for $20 on eBay. Smokes ok, pretty small for a military band pipe. Thing I hate about it is the finish. I may post a pic later but I just do not like the rustication.
So my idea was to strip the outside of it, sand it down smooth and probably leave it as is because I'm lazy like that. What's the best way to strip the finish off the outside without screwing up the briar? Grain alcohol, mineral spirits ...?
I'm just sick of the way it looks but not really willing to part with it since it isn't worth much in the first place.

If you're going to sand it, no need for a solvent. But, I will use denatured alcohol and some cotton wipes to remove the finish, if that's all I am doing. But, if I want to strip a stain, I will use acetone, in a well ventilated area. Both of these will fully evaporate.

When I get a caked pipe that I want to fully restore, I will soak it in alcohol over night. But, keep in mind this will be like a new pipe with no cake, as that will dissolve too. But, I like having bare briar and breaking in a pipe myself.
But, all of that aside, keep in mind that if the pipe was rusticated, the pipe maker probably had a good reason for choosing that finish, maybe pits, maybe ugly grain, whatever. He could have made so much more money selling a smooth pipe, and I will bet the decision was made to rusticate it for a reason.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Shit, forgot about that, Michael. Thanks for the reminder. Damn, it's not that the pipe is butt ugly I just hate the way they went about finishing it: the rustication and the color of stain.
It wasn't a blind purchase, but one that once I had it in my hands I was like "damn, you're not pretty, even for a $20 pipe."

Aug 14, 2012
You may easily remove all or part of the stain with rubbing alcohol, but for a better taste use a strong alcoholic drink. I use 114 proof gin.

Status
Not open for further replies.