PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there folks.
Here's a quick before and after of a stand that came with my first batch of estates for refurbing. The top and bottom are walnut, the spindles/risers are another wood that is blonder and certainly softer than the walnut. When the stand arrived it was a uniform red oak stain, and I hated it. So I sanded the old stain off and hand sanded up to about 600 before I started adding tung oil. I may do some wet sanding and add a few more treatments of tung, or I may just leave it.
Regardless, I'm happier with it's look now.
As always, I'd welcome any feedback or advice on my efforts.
Cheers,
-- Pat
Before

During

After

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I like that very much Pat. The only thing I like a bit better is not having the hole for the stem enclosed, open. But the restore was a mighty fine job

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good stuff Pat.
I'm the market for a second rack myself. The top of my liquer cabinet it getting crowded. Surely I can't get rid of any pipes.....nope better to get another rack.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the comments guys.
Bigboi, I hear ya on preferring an open top for the pipe rest. I'm not choosing these right now, so far two of the ebay purchases of estates for refurb work have come with stands. This 12 pipe rest, and a six pipe rest with the open notch for the stem/bit. I prefer that too. These older rests also seem to be made for the standard factory pipes of the 20th century. They can't handle some of the bigger bowls of the free-hands without taking up two slots.
Nice to see how it cleaned up though!
-- Pat

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Nicely done Pat, at the rate I'm going I'm going to need another rack for my pipes as well. May be time to check out ebay.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Huge difference Pat. I need a new pipe rack myself and I'm liking the tiered ones. Seen a couple on ebay for around $30 seems that wooden racks get real expensive real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.